Starting from slants - initial cell count?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argyll Gargoyle

Reaction score
I’m a homebrew noob learning to be a yeast rancher. I followed the instructions on inoculating slants from the sticky thread in this forum - so far so good.
It looks like the usual way to create a starter from said slants is to use the entire slant.

First question: what is a good assumption for initial cell count (per unit area of the slant surface)?
Second question: how do I determine how many steps my starter needs, and the optimal volumes for these steps?

Thanks

I’m a homebrew noob learning to be a yeast rancher. I followed the instructions on inoculating slants from the sticky thread in this forum - so far so good.
It looks like the usual way to create a starter from said slants is to use the entire slant.

First question: what is a good assumption for initial cell count (per unit area of the slant surface)?
Second question: how do I determine how many steps my starter needs, and the optimal volumes for these steps?

Thanks

A good rule of thumb is to start with 10mL of wort and never increase the volume by more than a factor of 10 in a single step. So 10mL, 100mL, 1L, 2L is not unreasonable

I still want my UV-Vis Spectrometer.....that way i could work on my protein purification skills, and make my own gluco!

Thanks for the guidance on starter volumes - the 10x progression seems pretty reasonable.

I might try some cell counts to get a ballpark number for cells in a slant — microscope is on order. Any recommendations on how to approach this? I would probably start some new slants, trying to cover as much of the surface as possible. Might need to experiment with how many days to let them grow, temperature, etc

homebrewing can be as cheap or expensive as a person wants to take it! i just googled it, and here's a cell-o-meter for $2k! never wonder if your starter is ready again :D

https://shop.nexcelom.com/products/...ETYCrnokBq_TbAdhpWtAGG6VzjWPZizcaAhNFEALw_wcB
Funnily enough those expensive image-based cell counters are less accurate than a trained lab-monkey... I mean technician. But they do save time which is probably more important for a commercial operation. Fluorescence-based cytometry is where it gets really fancy but you'll have to add at least one more zero to the price for some basic gear...

Thanks
No need to use the entire slant, get yeast from the slant once using an inoculating loop and inoculate a 10 ml of wort in a test tube . Then successively multiply by 10.

Back