Starting from Cider vs Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigwi

Reaction score
I've been struggling to find an answer using the search. Is it better to make hard cider from apple cider or apple juice?

I'll jump in, although I expect there will be many differing opinions:
To me, using real cider is the way to go, which means for me I have a window of about 4 weeks to get my cider in the Fall. Apple juice is........apple juice. It's just not the same.

To me, using real cider is the way to go, which means for me I have a window of about 4 weeks to get my cider in the Fall. Apple juice is........apple juice. It's just not the same.

Following up, could I add something to replicate the cider flavor?

I agree unless you are adding other fruit flavors. My window is Labor Day to Thanksgiving, Christmas in a good year. There are some places that squeeze into the spring from cold storage apples.

Following up, could I add something to replicate the cider flavor?

I suppose you could pulp some apples and add that, but it's still a poor 2nd choice. I'm actually surprised you haven't gotten other opinions, because I usually see a ton of threads from people using store bought apple juice.

extremely amateur cider maker here... i have had (what i think are) great results from using treetops 3 apple blend.
k2-_1f6f1f54-de4e-419d-8268-65d4eb62791f.v1.jpg

just started a 5 gal carboy batch using kirkland signature (costco) apple juice for the first time.
kirkland-signature-fresh-pressed-apple-juice-378l-x-2.jpg

i can't comment on things like authenticity or traditional cider making but if you're an amateur like me and just want a cider for you and friends... 3 apple blend has worked great for me.

I have made cider over the last few years, I've used fresh pressed cider, bottled cider and bottled juice and personally it all tasted the same. I have also used all kinds of yeast and again all about the same.

The last several ciders I have made were also from Kirkland juice and beer yeast. Whatever beer I just kegged I just dumped in my juice and keg in two weeks.

Finally decided to try cider after buying it commercially for years (very expensive imo). I figured for my first try I wanted to see how cheap I could make a batch. Bought 10 gallons Members Mark 100% Apple Juice from Sams Club for $25. Split it up between 2 5 gal carboys. Threw in a couple pounds of brown sugar to get the ABV up a bit and pitched some yeast. I kegged one of the batches after a couple weeks fermenting and tossed in a couple dollar cans of frozen concentrate of cranberry juice from Walfart after adding some potassium sorbate. It has been carbonating in my keezer for the past 3 days and I gotta say, it is DELICIOUS! I honestly thought it would taste bad as I have about $20 into each of the 5 gallon batches. I have been buying commercial corny kegs of various hard ciders from my local party store for five times that amount of money depending on the brand. Been home brewing beer off and on for 20 plus years and am kicking myself for never giving hard cider a go. Now I am hooked. There goes the liver...even more so...DOH!

My favorite is Mott's (the clear one) plus Nottingham yeast, no sugar. I cold crash after it drops clear.

Great! Strongbow-ish. Add a bit of AJ concentrate and it's Woodchuck-ish.

I've had amazing fresh pressed cider batches, but availability and variability make Mott's my go to for mass market "commercial" cider equivalents, which most of my guests (and wife) prefer.

I'm in the juice camp by default, not by choice. I don't have the funds to go find pressed cider apples that are affordable as I do not have any orchards that are nearby. Sure, i could take a couple hour ride to several orchards, but time and gas are also money. If I had a close orchard and the money, I would also need a press. Otherwise, I would totally go that route, as it would be the cider equivalent to all grain brewing. Complete control over ingredients and process, and theoretically, better cider results.

I have used the Sams club juice, Indian Summer juice, Indian Summer Cider, Motts, Tree Top, Aldi Brand generic 100% juice, and the Aldi organic 100% juice. My best result out of these was from the aldi generic brand. Not sure why, but it turned out the most commercial tasting cider. All others tasted like hard cider, but they also tasted "homemade." All were made using wlp002 yeast.

I started out using juice (read: Every time I see a new type of not-from-concentrate, preservative-free, preferably unfiltered apple juice, I buy a gallon), no nutrients or sugar added, just pitch, rack, ferment dry, and bottle carb. The advantage to that is that it's fast and easy, available year round, relatively cheap, and perfectly drinkable. I have also bought boxes of fruit from a fruit stand and either juiced or blended it, heat pasteurized, then pitched, etc. I find that the fruit leaves more of the original flavor, even with heat pasteurizing, and those have generally been some of my better batches, but of course they cost 3-5 times as much and require more effort and time up front.

Latest posts

Back