Starting Electric Built

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnorman93638

Reaction score
Just starting to put together things to build a controller. Got 2 of these electric boxes from my work that were being thrown out. Wanting to know if there are any parts in here I could use. Box may be tight but it was free!!

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

yes looks like theres a lot you can use there... you have useful fuse mounts you can use for you main power or to protect the element power. even the power switch can be utilized. the big breaker appears to be the wrong size for your application.

not too much to salvage, the panel is a three-phase motor starter panel. the panel itself and the back panel look good and you could salvage the terminal blocks. contactor is rated too low for all but the smallest heating elements. you don't need the motor overload or the transformer. might be able to salvage the fuses for a control circuit. disconnect might work, depending what it is rated for.

Thanks everyone. I didn't figure there was going to be much that I could use but I wasn't sure about a couple of things that were in the box.

you have an indicator light which will work, the fuseblocks which will work fine unless your looking to bling up the inside of your panel. terminal bar, an on off switch which may or may not be rated for the whole panel as a disconnect. .... That box is very small what kind of control are you planning ? one pid / element?

Thanks augiedoggy I will salvage those and see what the on off switch is rated. I knew the box was small and not sure if it would work but it was free. I have 2 of these boxes. I was going to build a 3 PID setup. It will be either a 30A or 50A system depending on what wire I end up running from my breaker box. Just starting to pick up things. I also have another box that may work (got it free) it's sort of a triangle shape from the side and it's 12x12 on the front panel.

Back