Starting a green energy brewery in Baltimore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jason Bell. I have started the difficult task of opening a brewery.
I want to collect rainwater to use in the facility & take advantage of MD green-energy incentives, by running off solar panels.
I want to have 10 taps, 1 rotating.
I have over 30 recipes & a number of the proceeds go back to MD organizations from Save the Chesapeake to Support MD farmers.
If your interested go to masondixonbrewers.com or email me directly at [email protected].
Thank you for your time.

Even with the incentives, you will need a huge overhead to be able to purchase enough panels to meet your demand. Does it really rain that much in Maryland to serve 10 beers?

How are you going to treat your water? Per the FDA, you will have to make the water potable before brewing with it.

Not trying to be negative, just pointing out some considerations.

No. I appreciate the insight..the rainwater is to run the bathrooms & the dishwasher..
I would still use RO city water to brew the beers.. I'm working on a kick starter page,as we speak..working on a few investors, but have acquired 3 letters of intent, so far.

Good luck with your endeavor! Have you contacted New Belgium yet? They are the leader in craft brewery sustainability and might be able to provide you with valuable information.

Will you still have to pay O'Malley's "rain tax"? Sorry, but as a Marylander....I couldn't help it....

I think that was one of the first things the new Gov tried to repeal, but the repeal got shot down according to here. As another Marylander that was also the first thing I thought of when I seen the post title.

Good luck to the OP in your endeavors in this biz friendly state. Keep us posted as to how things are going. I don't get that way often, but if it is worth a drive - I enjoy seeing others.

Back