Starting a bottle dregs solera?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlampen45

Reaction score
Round 2 of a solera project (had to abandon the first because of work)
I just made a starter for a couple batches im going to brew tomorrow and made a "double" batch to start growing up some bottle dregs with 1/2 of it.
I put 8 oz of the starter ~1.03 wort into a growler and tossed an airlock on it.
But no yeast yet.
While I was at my LHBS this morning I had an idea of just grabbing a sour white labs vial to "start" this project and every so often during the next however long i keep this going continue to add it along with my various bottle dregs.
Has anyone tried something like this just to "keep things going in there" since I dont have a huge abundance of sours at my disposal (maybe 5-8 bottles over the course of a few months)
If so whats a decently "neutral" blend I should go after since I didn't buy any as theyre 8 bucks and I didn't want to throw it away.
Or should I just start it with some regular ale yeast to get things moving? I have S05 and Notty on hand along with a few Montrachet for edworts apfelwein.

Back