Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
Is it true I can't boil a starter directly on a metal coil type stove? I have some fermcap and it would save me trouble so I want to but I'm hesitant. I have heard that you can and that you can't from different sources. In a flask I mean.

Its a risk of cracking. The heating element isnt as diffuse, and can theoretically break the glass. That said, I did it many a time without incident at one apartment. Wear gloves.

Also now that I think about it, an induction stove or single plate thing you can get would be fine for flask right?

I just found a Coleman bottle top propane stove on Amazon for $23.88 with prime shipping that looks like it would work too.

Direct flame is best for borosilicate glass, if you're going to do it on a coil stove go with the 'in a pot of boiling water' idea, or just boil it in a stew pot and funnel it over

Direct flame is best for borosilicate glass, if you're going to do it on a coil stove go with the 'in a pot of boiling water' idea, or just boil it in a stew pot and funnel it over

I have a smooth top electric range. Made many starters on top of it, although, I don't start off on HIGH. I usually start on low to medium heat for a few minutes.
The stove really reacts just like a gas stove, and I don't think it can't distribute the heat under the flask any better. Maybe others might chime in on that?
:mug:

Boil the starter wort in a pot and after cooling (in a cold water bath) pour into your well sanitized flask. Pitch yeast.

I find boiling in a glass vessel tedious and slow.

That is my normal method island lizard, part of the reason for this is that I'm trying not to make a 2.5 gal stars san for a starter. I recently had some in distilled water, 1 month old that got slime, infected I guess. I'm also paranoid somewhat b/c my wort chiller developed hop resin on it and 3 batches were lost by only soaking it in star San the 2 I must have boiled the chiller turned out fine. I cleaned it shiny with star san and boiled it for an IPA I just Dryhopped.

I also considered just doing the math to make a 32 oz spray bottle of star san, then using a medicine dropper. I do like the thought of my bottling/starter pot being used just for corn sugar because it is easier to clean.

That is my normal method island lizard, part of the reason for this is that I'm trying not to make a 2.5 gal stars san for a starter. I recently had some in distilled water, 1 month old that got slime, infected I guess. I'm also paranoid somewhat b/c my wort chiller developed hop resin on it and 3 batches were lost by only soaking it in star San the 2 I must have boiled the chiller turned out fine. I cleaned it shiny with star san and boiled it for an IPA I just Dryhopped.

I keep Starsan around for months in a bucket without any trouble. It and anything in it gets a bit slick after a while, but then that disappears. It cannot get infected, it kills about everything.

A gallon of Starsan stored in a milk jug can be reused over and over. A spray bottle with Starsan is great for spot sanitation, like under rims of buckets, and stoppers and lids.

How did you lose 3 batches from a wort chiller? You put it in the kettle 10 minutes before flameout to sanitize it. It should be fairly clean with no crud hanging off it, of course. A Scotchbrite pad can clean it up quickly. Don't use a wort chiller for your starter wort though. Just let the pot cool down with a lid on it in a basin with cold water or the sink. As long as no chilling water can get inside of course.

No, I guess it's a little complicated but my wort chiller is about 1.5 years old and most of the time I didn't throw chiller in boil, I just star san it. It was however in there for many hop stands and resin built up on it. There is a tread on here about a spicy taste from Conan strain I started while I was figuring this out . Out of the last 5 batches one was Conan and was fine so I ruled out yeast and kept looking. I didn't record if I boiled chiller on the 2 batches that were good but I think I did. I must have... And always should. It had a thick black gunk on it and I'm sure if equipment has to be clean before sanitizer then that chiller stood no chance of being ready. I also stretched out the chiller so the connections are above wort when chilling and wrapped more plumbers tape around them.

Back