Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
yesterday I used about 2-3 inches of sludge from an old batch (which I don't think I washed quite right, hence the reason I called it "sludge" and not "yeast") to make a starter. Approx. 10 hours later, it's releasing some CO2 when I shake it but there's not nearly as much kreusen on the top (or yeast on the bottom) as when I've made a starter from a Wyeast smack pack.

Did I not use enough "sludge"? Did I simply not wash it right? I'm planning to brew at noon today (CST) if anyone has any thoughts. I could always have my buddy who's coming over at noon swing by the LHBS and pick up a fresh smack pack I suppose...

Prob too late as you said you were brewing at noon- but if you didnt wash properly, the yeast might be dead. If you didnt aerate properply, it will take a while. Hard to tell without your complete process. Are you using a stir plate for your starter?

It's been 10 hours...there is a reason this thread below is a sticky. Take a read and it should help quell all your fears:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

If after 72 hours your gravity has not changed then post again and we will be happy to advise.

If you want to know if your washing technique was done properly please write up how you did it. We can let you know if you have to change the way your doing it.

my starters never show any krausen or signs of fermentation aside from change in wort color/clarity

do you notice any difference in the amount of "sludge" in the container?

Thanks to all who replied!

I have indeed read the fermentation can take 24-72 hrs....

Even from my meager 5-batch experience, I can tell the yeast weren't dead; there was at least some sign of life. I did not notice any difference in the amount of "sludge" only because I kept shaking/aerating it. It did, however, sound like it usually does: in the past I've given my starters a shake every time I walked past and they hissed with escaping CO2 and the same happened for this batch.

I pitched it anyway. I didn't hit my target gravity by any stretch of the imagination so I was flying by the seat of my pants anyway. We'll see what happens in the next 24 to 72 hours. ;-)

Back