Starters for Low Gravity Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKBoitnott

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a quick search to see if anyone else has asked this recently. Didnt really find anything.... so here it goes.

I was drawing up a 1.047 5.25 gallon Best Bitter Recipe. Went to do the starter calculations, and a 1.037 1 L start puts me way high (like 220 billion vs 170 billion or something). My question is , has anyone done starters under 1L? I heard from somebody, somewhere that you shouldnt go under a liter, not sure why that is. I guess you could also lower the starter gravity. Or just say screw it and do a 1L. But I like to try to be exact.

Also, it would take some major convincing for me to forego the starter altogether. So I likely wont be doing that.

How old is the yeast you're gonna be using and what calculator are you using? The calc. at Mr Malty is showing with your intended OG and batch size, with a yeast that has todays date on it you would require 173 billion cells for fermentation. Considering appx. 100 billion in a new package of liquid yeast you're still looking at a starter of 1 liter on a sitr plate or 1.8 packages of yeast without the starter. Without a stir plate it's showing a 1.42 liter starter (simple starter). Hope that helps.

For what its worth, I do a lot of lower gravity beers (Bitters and English browns). I have never bothered doing a starter for any of these. Some have even won competitions. If your yeast is healthy, I think its all relative at the lower gravities. Just my 2 cents.

How old is the yeast you're gonna be using and what calculator are you using? The calc. at Mr Malty is showing with your intended OG and batch size, with a yeast that has todays date on it you would require 173 billion cells for fermentation. Considering appx. 100 billion in a new package of liquid yeast you're still looking at a starter of 1 liter on a sitr plate or 1.8 packages of yeast without the starter. Without a stir plate it's showing a 1.42 liter starter (simple starter). Hope that helps.

Well I believe that is because Mr. Malty's calculator only goes down to 1 liter. For example if you were to adjust the gravity the beer to 1.030, it still says 1 L. I believe I read that it was Mr. Malty who recommends not going below 1 L.

I use YeastCalc, which is down today :( But I also like Brewers Friend as well. They list the estimated cell count when finished.

Im sure this post will lead me to the "just do a 1 L starter" option. Prolly do it the day before so its active. Or maybe just throw the pack in there...

Back