Starters actually work!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalati

Reaction score
Took the plunge and bought all the yeast starter equipment (all $40 bucks of it, but who on this forum isn't thrifty) and holy ball sack did my IPA take off. Put 5 gallons in a 6.5 carboy and I still have blow off. Fermentation started in 3 hours after I pitched my 500ml starter at high krausen. And this was with yeast I had in the fridge from 13 months go. Anyway I'm sold.

I'm new to the hobby...getting to do batch 6 tomorrow...my 1st all grain. Anyways...I've used starters from the get-go, and I swear by them as well.

Your yeast will love you for doing starters. They love you even more when you give them plenty of oxygen.:D

I've been kind of hit-or-miss with starters. I'd make them if I had time and remembered.

Then I made a diacetyl bomb. It mostly conditioned out. But I don't want to do that again.

jgalati said:
Took the plunge and bought all the yeast starter equipment (all $40 bucks of it, but who on this forum isn't thrifty) and holy ball sack did my IPA take off. Put 5 gallons in a 6.5 carboy and I still have blow off. Fermentation started in 3 hours after I pitched my 500ml starter at high krausen. And this was with yeast I had in the fridge from 13 months go. Anyway I'm sold.

An added bonus: harvesting yeast from your starter (see link in my signature for details)!

An added bonus: harvesting yeast from your starter (see link in my signature for details)!

I was washing/rinsing yeast after fermentation and switched to this method instead. Currently I have a Belgian yeast dated from last month that I did a 2 liter starter last week and cold crashed until last night. made another 2 liter starter and pitched the slurry (about 250ml) and the starter was blowing off in 30 minutes! Right now it is so thick that I could probably split it into quarters and pitch into 4 separate 5 gallon batches.

Back