Starter step up ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
Is it possible to make several 500ml starter worts and keep for future starter/step up's?
If so would they need pasteurizing or anything special?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Very possible, but you need spot on sanitation. The longer you have sugar water (wort) without introducing a dominant microorganism (your yeast), the higher risk you have of running infection.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was thinking of refrigerating them, and storing the in mason jars much the same way as canning jam. Also I was only going to make half a Dixon or so. Life is hectic around here, thinking it would save me some time, but maybe is not worth it.

Those are some small starter volumes to begin with what size batches are you brewing? For five gallon batches you may want to use 2000ml volume in order to double your cell count. A step up starter as I think of it is made of a lower gravity wort than a typical starter so I'm not sure you'll get optimal results using the same wort for both purposes.

My initial starter was 500ml or water with 1/2 cup of DME, i would then decant after chilled and add the second and third wort respectively.
is this not right?
Oh and yeah, 5 gallons

Ever checked the gravity of your starter? That seems like a strong starter. I just use wort from a previous mash. I've had some mason jars sitting in the fridge with wort ready to make a starter. As long as stuff is sanitized you shouldn't have any problems. If you're going to do multiple steps you'll want to drain as much of the wort as possible. I've been told steps should increase in size from step 1 to 2 otherwise you're just making a 1L starter take twice as long.

What you're asking is very common, there are plenty of threads out there describing it. I do it myself, using a pressure canner.

As is noted, if you're going to store them at room temperature, it's critical that the wort be sterilized (not just "sanitized"). The only way to achieve that is by heating it to 253° F (i.e., 15 psi) for 20 minutes in a pressure canner.

I've read that some people prepare double-strength starter wort (1.080) and sterilize them in a pressure canner, then when they need a starter, the dilute the starter wort 50/50 with plain water to bring it down to 1.040 and reduce the amount of wort they have to can and store.

I would definitely NOT store excess mash wort in the fridge, regardless of how "sanitary" the process is. Unboiled wort directly from the mash is positively crawling with bacteria. The cold temperatures of a refrigerator will slow their progress, but not eliminate it entirely.

Either pressure can it, or freeze it.

I wanted to make a step starter because i was using a vial of washed yeast that was several months old, not knowing whether a full 1l starter would stress it out to much.

I have poured my boiling starter wort into 2 quart mason jars, capped and put them in the fridge for about 2 weeks so far without any apparent issues.

Storing unboiled wort at any temp is bad and water bath canning then storing at room temp is bad.

I have poured my boiling starter wort into 2 quart mason jars, capped and put them in the fridge for about 2 weeks so far without any apparent issues.

Right, boiled wort is better (still not sterile), but my comment was an indirect response to DurtyChemist's comment that he just uses wort from a previous mash, suggesting it has not yet been boiled. Such wort would be totally contaminated with wild bacteria and would develop off-flavours/an infection within hours at room temperature. Storing it in the fridge might buy you a week or so, but even still, I wouldn't trust it. It's not worth the risk.

Storing unboiled wort at any temp is bad and water bath canning then storing at room temp is bad.

Note further that if you are storing wort in jars, DO NOT screw the lid down tight. If you haven't pressure canned it, then it will inevitably become infected eventually, and if the resulting CO2 is unable to vent, the jar will explode.

The proper way to store wort is to sterilize it in a pressure canner, then store it at room temperature with the screw-down rings completely removed, such that the only thing sealing the jars is the lid, which should be "sucked down" in a vacuum as the jars cool. That way, if one of them turns out to be contaminated and begins fermenting, the lid will simply pop up and release, rather than the jar exploding.

So an update.
I only have a 1l flask of the earlamyer type( for some reason my auto correct won't auto correct), so I will be stepping up this batch. However I have ordered myself a 2l flask, now, should I proceed and make a 2l starter regardless of age or acquirement of yeast in the future as recommend?

No but it means I can start with a "1.5L", right?

Latest posts

Back