Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_E

Reaction score
I made a 3 qt starter for my last batch. When I did, I just pitched the entire thing into my wort. Is this the preferred method? should I have poured some off then pitched the remaining slurry?

Everything seemed fine with my OG and the fermentation has been incredible (see my other thread).

I think people do it both ways (as do I). If I have time before the brew session, I will let the starter ferment just about to completion to ensure I have as much yeast as possible, then stick it in the fridge to kind of cold crash the yeast to settle at the bottom. Then at the start of my brew session I take it out to warm to room temperature and decant off most of the beer in the top, just leaving enough to swirl the yeast back into suspension and only pitch that slurry.

If I do not build the starter early enough to run this full course, I will pitch the entire starter. I prefer to decant off most of the beer just because it seems more respectful to the new wort I just brewed, but I have not noticed any ill effects from pitching the entire starter. I have mostly only been making 1L starters though. If I made a 2L or bigger starter, I would definitely prefer decanting as much as possible and just pitching slurry.

I've pitched the whole shebang in the past. If I'm brewing anything darker than a pale, I don't worry about it. But I'd never pitch anything but the slurry into something like a Blonde or a Saison.

If it's a delicate beer, (especially a larger where you might have a gallon starter and looking for a clean ferment) you should decant the starter wort, otherwise just pitch the lot.

IPAs, APAs, Stouts, Porters, all have lots of flavor and you would not notice the starter wort. Hefs .... ?

Your choice.

I usually pitch the whole thing, and never found a problem.

Back