Starter not really starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twbalding

Reaction score
I used a wyeast Irish ale smack pack to make a starter two days ago but never got a krausen to form. FYI this is my first attempt... The smack pack partially froze in my fridge but when I broke the yeast nutrient pack and shook it up it had expanded the next morning. I took this as a good sign and pitched the yeast into my starter. If I shake the flask it releases a ton of co2 so I think it's working but the yeast settle out really quickly. What should I do... I don't plan to brew till next weekend now so should I wash the yeast and try to get them started again or something else. Please help me out, I have no idea where to begin.

If you are using a stir plate chances are no foam will form. Even if you aren't it might not. If it smells like beer you should be fine. Even if you pitch and it doesn't take off (give it several days) you can pitch fresh yeast then and be fine.

Don't worry about it.

Back