Starter issue - not sure what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackhole

Reaction score
Doing my first AG batch today and so far, everything's going great except for something I've been getting right for years - the yeast starter.

So, based on Jamil's yeast calculator, I need to make a 3L starter with two vials of yeast. Don't have an erlenmeyer that big and won't be able to get back to the home-brew shop until tomorrow. I would typically pitch tomorrow AM anyway. I'm thinking of making a 2L starter with one vial.

Anyone have any suggestions to help me make the best of this? I'll know next time to just run the calculator at the store and buy more vials. It's WLP530, FYI.

I like to use a growler then step it up. The only issue is you don't have time to step the starter up.

I like to use a growler then step it up. The only issue is you don't have time to step the starter up.

Yeah, that's my issue. I'm thinking about making a 2L starter with the vial I have, then maybe stopping by the shop tomorrow and pitching a vial or two more. Any issues with this?

Back