Starter is taking a long time to get through krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewser_

Reaction score
Ok so I made a starter of some US-05 yeasties that I washed off a previous batch. I want to use it for edwort's apfelwein but I was concerned about the higher alcohol level so I made about a 2.5 quart starter. The starter was around 1.050 at the start and I just shook it for aeration. But like a ******* I didn't leave enough room for the krausen and it blew over. I let the yeast settle out and I didn't like the amount of slurry I had. This whole process from pitching to settling took about 3 days. I decided to shake it again and get everything in suspension to hopefully grow more yeast. Now 5 days after the second shake aeration I still have the second krausen and can still see bubbles rising.

What the hell is happening, why is it taking so long

It's just the more often you shake and swirl a starter the sooner it will finish. The beauty of a stir plate, swirling is going on every second.
Give it shake and swirl as often as possible. Any one else in the house to help out?

There will be less krausen formed each time you shake if do it very often. Eliminates those messy volcanoes.

Ok it just seemed like a long time for a starter, ill just keep aerating it thanks

Latest posts

Back