Starter infection, prior to pitching. Help pls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
So i just finished my smoothest brew day ever. I had made a starter of WLP300 hefe yeast a few days back, crash cooled 2 days. Took it out of fridge today during brew day to reach room temp, great banana aroma.

Fast forward 10 hours, ready to pitch, wort oxygenated, I give the yeast one last smell...it doesn't smell right. A funky over-potent smell... I'm betting its infected.

I don't have any other hefe yeast on hand, only US-05; US-04. What should i do?

Should i put the fermentor in the fridge and wait until new yeast gets here? I fear the unfermented wort will either get infected itself, or develop botulism or something. Ideas?

The liquid yeast should be okay unless it smells really funky. Did you tightly cover the starter before cold crashing? A fridge or freezer can be rife with bugs that can infect a beer or starter.

If your gut tells you the liquid yeast is no good, pitch the S05 and you will have a nice American Wheat. If the starter was covered well and are willing to risk your batch, pitch the starter slurry.

I think i once infected a pumpkin ale....it developed a slightly sour taste and a smell very reminiscent of this Starter. My alternative would be order another wlp300 and make a starter. That would take 4 days. What would you do?

Well I sort of followed your advice. I had some wlp001 slurry from last week in fridge that I pitched. Hopefully I'll get something decent :confused:

Back