Starter Home Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamNation65

Reaction score
I'm looking to start home brewing but before I do anything I want to know what should be in a kit. I've gone on several different sites to buy from but I feel that the kits that are sold don't have all the proper parts to it. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to start home brewing but before I do anything I want to know what should be in a kit. I've gone on several different sites to buy from but I feel that the kits that are sold don't have all the proper parts to it. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Ram! First off there are a few basic pieces of equipment you'll need. These include:
  • Boil kettle - the larger the better
  • Fermentation bucket w/ airlock
  • Racking cane with tubing to transfer to bottling bucket
  • Bottling bucket with bottling wand and tubing to fill your bottles
  • Bottle capper with bottles and caps

Some other items include:
  • Hydrometer to measure OG and FG
  • Thermometer
  • Cleaning and sanitizing chemicals

That's the basic list. You can get more items if you decide to you want to expand and get a bit more control your beer but I'd recommend starting out simple and growing into it.

Happy Brewing and don't be afraid to ask questions. We've all been there :mug:

All that, plus read John Palmer's how to brew first, and you don't need to buy bottles, sample a lot of home brews (as research) and de-label with Oxi-clean. You will also need a good cleaner, I just use the Oxi-clean free, and Star-san sanitizer. My best advice is read How To Brew, and concentrate on cleaning and sanitizing, no matter how good the recipe or your brewing practice is, if you do not clean and sanitize properly your beer will be crap. Yeast handling/preparation and fermentation control are a close second.

Are you looking to do it on a budget or do you want to spend a little extra and get it right the first time?

I can afford some wiggle room but not to much. Any advice will be accepted for the cheapest to the most expensive.

What "proper parts" do you feel the kits you've looked at are missing? I bought one like this and used the stock pot I already had and was brewing the next day. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html

All that I had to add to that kit was ingredients and bottles/caps. Once I brewed a few batches I added a couple more fermenters and got an autosiphon to make racking easier. Nice but not "needed".

After you have brewed a few batches you will find things you want to add to fit your way of doing things.

So a carboy is unneeded then? That's been one of my biggest questions is will I need it.

Not really, they are nice to have, but you can make great beer without them

So a carboy is unneeded then? That's been one of my biggest questions is will I need it.

I've been brewing for about 7 years. I have a plastic carboy that I used to secondary on fruit (twice) and primary (once). Unless you are planning to brew big beers (high alcohol) a lot you won't be needing one. I've left a brown ale in the plastic bucket primary for 9 weeks and it came out good and I've dry hopped in that same primary several times. If the time comes when you really need a carboy, you can buy it then.

No. A carboy isn't needed. Useful? To me, yes. I have four 6 gallon glass carboys which I use often. If you're just getting your feet wet, spend the money on a large brew pot and use the plastic fermentation buckets for now.

There are pro's and con's for all vessels and the sticky thread at the top of the forum does a good job outlining them.

Back