Starter, getting a Krausen overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenearboston

Reaction score
When making a starter, I begin with a Wyeast vial (California Ale), and I typically add 1 L of wort at 1.040 (from light DME) at 65F. I then put it on a stir plate for 24 hours.

However, I sometimes get a Krausen overflow. I am concerned I'm losing some of the best yeast and negating the whole point of a starter by getting an overflow.

Do folks add Fermcap in their starters?

Some folks will add fermcaps to their starters and it's probably the easy way to control that problem.

I, currently, torture myself my keeping a spoon in sanitizer by the starter and knock it down when it gets too close to the stopper. It's a total PITA and I'm looking to change, immediately :D

I have found that some strains can be kept knocked down by a fast spin while others will not gain such height by using a slow spin. And then there are the true top croppers like the one I just finished that build up height the faster you go. In the case of the persistent problem yeast, without having fermcaps on hand, I have found that closely monitoring it and knocking it back when needed and then taking it off the stir plate while I sleep worked out reasonably well (better than nothing I guess) - you just need to take it slow the next morning when you swirl it around otherwise I'll come overflowing.

Moral of the story: Either ridiculous amounts of headspace or fermcapS for those persistent top croppers.

Cool - wondering if I should start over with a new vial if I have an overflow - thinking I just lost my best yeast and am stuck with the weaker ones - thoughts?

I highly doubt that you would need to start over with a new vial if you have an overflow, but the best solution is prevention :D. IIRC, while WY1056 is a big krausen producer it is not a true top cropper which simply means that most of the yeast is NOT hanging out in the foam at the top - it's probably even distributed throughout (the strong, weak, high attenuators, and low attenuators are evenly distributed).

Like I said above, if you have the ability to watch it for a while then try to determine if WY1056 prefers a certain speed on your stirplate. My guess is that it would do better with a fast stir pace since it forms a good krausen so the fast pace might have the added ability of keeping the foam knocked down as it forms (i.e. the turbulance of the stirring liquid breaking foam bubbles after they've formed). It's just a guess.

You don't have to start over ... krausen is good yeast, but you are still left with good stuff. Best solution is to get a larger flask for your starters. I held off on making the spend but eventually I got tired of cleaning up messes. As a benefit, I now have enough flask room to do bigger starters for heavy beers and also lager starters.

I was in the same boat. I made a 1300ml starter chilled and decanted. I then put 2000ml of fresh wort on top of it and it is currently overflowing, not crazy but pretty good. Should I keep it on the stir plate (please say it's ok to leave on the stir plate cause I'm already at work)

I was in the same boat. I made a 1300ml starter chilled and decanted. I then put 2000ml of fresh wort on top of it and it is currently overflowing, not crazy but pretty good. Should I keep it on the stir plate (please say it's ok to leave on the stir plate cause I'm already at work)

I suspect that it will continue to overflow but if you're at work then there's not a whole lot you can do otherwise. I've found the overflowing issue to be very strain dependent so hopefully the one you're using is more bark than bite.

I suspect that it will continue to overflow but if you're at work then there's not a whole lot you can do otherwise. I've found the overflowing issue to be very strain dependent so hopefully the one you're using is more bark than bite.

I'm using a California Ale (White Labs) I'm hoping that as well.

I haven't really had much problems with krausen in my starters. Most often it happens in second or third feedings in step starters.

I agree that you probably didn't lose much yeast. No need to start over. If anything make a small amount more wort and let it go another 12 - 24 hours.

I do wonder though, where are you finding Wyeast in vials? Wyeast makes the SmackPacks.

Back