Starter from slant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmidter

Reaction score
I've searched a little bit but I haven't seen the exact answer I'm looking for. I am making a starter, now 24 hours old, from a Kolsch yeast slant. I made a basic starter wort to get me to 400ml. It is looking very good, but should I step it up now to produce as much yeast as I can for a Kolsch brew in 2-3 days?

Thanks!

I step my slants from 10ml in the tube up twice by a factor of 10 each time in my flask, then then based on the slurry may step it again by 4 or so.

10ml>100ml>1L>4L

The first few parts are correct however the yeast book recommends going from 1L to 10L. I ain't got that kind of vessel.

I step my slants from 10ml in the tube up twice by a factor of 10 each time in my flask, then then based on the slurry may step it again by 4 or so.

10ml>100ml>1L>4L

The first few parts are correct however the yeast book recommends going from 1L to 10L. I ain't got that kind of vessel.

Thanks. Let me correct myself. This was started from a 10 ml tube, and I was given about 100 ml in a mason jar. Sorry for the lack of details. SO I took the mason jar, and added it to an approximate 300ml starter. Now I have 400ml. Should I step it up and what would you recommend in this situation.

Back