Starter Dilemma, Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
So I have 10 gallons of a Rochefort 10 Clone that brewed a week ago and No-Chilled. I made a starter on my stir plate a day ago and came in this morning and it had blown off the foil top. My question is would you use the starter, or do you think the risk of infection is high enough to go buy more yeast and redo it. I would hate to infect 10 gallons of beer that I plan to bottle condition.

Thanks!

It's a gamble, but technically the beer you're brewing is an infected beer anyway... I would probably just pitch anyway (my house is really clean and it's cold as crap outside now), but if you want to be 100% sure, then yes you need to get a new vial.

Do add another little piece of info, the starter was sitting underneath a vent in my basement. So when the heater kicked on it potentially was pushing out dirty air over the open starter

If it were one of my cheap recipes of session beer I'd pitch anyway. If it's a big beer I planned to age I would want to be 100% sure on sanitation. $6 for yeast is a lot cheaper than $60 worth of ingredients and your time wasted if it gets infected.

Do add another little piece of info, the starter was sitting underneath a vent in my basement. So when the heater kicked on it potentially was pushing out dirty air over the open starter

In most cases id say you were ok, but after knowing this do not risk it. Just go get some new yeast!

Back