Started with 4 gallons ended with 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
Is this normal?

I'm doing a vanilla milk stout and when I transfered the wort to the primary I had 4 gallons. After a week I transfered to a secondary and added vanilla beans.

We're 2 weeks in on the secondary and there is now 3 gallons. Is this normal?

Probably. I usually lose around .75 to 1 gallon depending on style between primary and secondary.

Oh, I forgot....

Ok I was planning to keg this beer and it will be my first keg.

Will it ruin the beer since it is 3 gals in a 5 gal keg? I heard that the oxygen can ruin it?

3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg is perfectly fine. You should always purge the keg of oxygen with CO2 before you transfer in your beer. If you do this, you will not oxidize your beer.

To do this, put on the lid and hook up the gas line. Let the keg fill with CO2 then open the pressure relief valve. Repeat this 2-3 times. Then you can take off your lid and transfer in your beer.

Welcome to kegging! It is awesome!

3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg is perfectly fine. You should always purge the keg of oxygen with CO2 before you transfer in your beer. If you do this, you will not oxidize your beer.

To do this, put on the lid and hook up the gas line. Let the keg fill with CO2 then open the pressure relief valve. Repeat this 2-3 times. Then you can take off your lid and transfer in your beer.

Welcome to kegging! It is awesome!

Well...that's not how I do it. I rack to the keg, hook up the gas, then purge the O2 out with CO2. works either way I guess.

Fordzilla said:
3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg is perfectly fine. You should always purge the keg of oxygen with CO2 before you transfer in your beer. If you do this, you will not oxidize your beer. To do this, put on the lid and hook up the gas line. Let the keg fill with CO2 then open the pressure relief valve. Repeat this 2-3 times. Then you can take off your lid and transfer in your beer. Welcome to kegging! It is awesome!
i don't know! But to me that's wasting c02!

Back