Starsan in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArmada

Reaction score
Hello guys,

after cleaning up my fermentor, it seems there was some starsan left in the bottom. When I poured my freshly brewed beer in it, it made soap foam. Now, I got beer and soap fermenting...

I'm guessing I should just scrap the batch ? Or should I wait and see after two weeks...

Absolutely do NOT scrap your batch!

If it wasn't like 1+ gallon it's totally fine. It actually can be used by the yeast as food. It's not a preferred practice to let excess StarSan in your beer but a little bit is totally fine. RDWHAHB!

Edit: don't fear the foam!

As you will here on HBT from many others...."Don't Fear the Foam". If the amount of star san was minimal, you will be fine. Follow the advice above and don't sweat it, and do not scrap the batch.

Look at it as a contest. When I rack to a better bottle for secondary I try to see how large of a foam snake I can make. Try to improve each time.

Like others said, as long as you are dumping the free liquid and have just foam everything is just fine.

If you do some searching there is a thread of pictures of people showing off their star san foam creatures.

alpha

Now, I got beer and soap fermenting...

No, Star San is a high foaming, acid anionic, no-rinse sanitizer. As long as you diluted it properly you will have no issues. Check out the following video for further information:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back