starsan in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themox

Reaction score
hey guys.

tomorrow i'm planning on on bottling a big IPA i've made, and tonight as i was checking it over i had noticed a few things i was a bit worried about.

i used a blow off tube with the end of the tube into an open 1.25L cola bottle with about 4-500ml of starsan - the end of the tube was sitting in this so as to not let oxygen in.

i had crash chilled the beer for 5 days, and stupidly didn't remove the blow off tube so a lot of starsan went up the tube. it didn't go in...until i picked the bottle up and the suction ended up sucking in a bit of the starsan into my beer.

i know starsan is okay when used just before a brew in the fermenter and such, but could 100ish to 200ish mL ruin a batch? the starsan was sitting open in that container for 2 1/2 weeks is all.

i hastily opened the lid of the fermenter and all the remaining starsan drained, but this let a nice load of oxygen inside it...would that be ok too?

kinda panicked, but i think i should be ok. any thoughts?

thanks.

Yeah u should be fine, happens alot to noobs (myself included). I use better bottles and the dimple at the bottom caved a bit under the weight of the wort, sucking it in from my S lock. It was my first batch, i did it late on night and almost lost my marbles at 2 in the morning when i saw the pressure change suck it all thru.

Either way though, just RDWHAHB, ur on ur way to some great tasting brew.

cheers guys, and thanks for the reassurance.

i'm bored so here's the recipe in case anyone is interested.

5.15kg simpsons maris otter
600gm weyermann munich 1
300gm weyermann carapils (dextrine)
25gm columbus (pellets, 14 aa%, 60 mins)
40gm amarillo (pellets, 6 aa%, 30 mins)
10gm cascade (pellets, 5 aa%, 30 mins)
10gm columbus (pellets, 14%, 30 mins)
15gm DCL yeast US-05 - american ale @ 16C
0.5 tablet whirlfloc

Back