Starsan foam in starter is getting out of hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhagey90

Reaction score
I realized that I put in too much starsan when I sanitized my flask. Now my starter keeps overflowing with starsan foam. It’s only a 1 liter starter in a 2 liter flask. I ordered fermcap s already because I was so annoyed. I had it on a stir plate, but had to take it off because it was so bad and now it’s still overflowing unless I slosh it around every so often. Is there any way to minimize the foam now that I’ve already messed this up? And will too high of a concentration of starsan mess my starter up? I think I did the same thing yesterday and my yeast barely grew because of it. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
thats not starsan that is the kraeusen that forms on top of beer during active fermentation and it is perfectly normal. A drop of fermcap will definitely fix it.

It’s the same type of foam as when I use starsan. It looks nothing like any kraeusan I’ve had before.

I don't know about removing foam that's already there, but once you cost the inner surface with starsan and dump it, you can let it dry for awhile propped upside down. I was just confused by the phrase "too much starsan." I usually just gently coat the inner surface and dump it out.
I rehydrate dry yeast though, and have never done a starter, so maybe there's a different preparation step I don't know about?

fwiw, my e-flasks are always freshly wet inside with Star San when I add the wort and yeast, zero issues ever.
I do use a couple of drops of Fermcap...

Cheers!

I get it letting them stay wet while adding the wort and yeast and whatnot, but my concentration of starsan was way too high to begin with. Doesn’t sound like there’s any way to fix this without fermcap so a lesson learned I guess.

Are you using straight Star San to coat the vessel??
You're right, those bubbles don't resemble the typical starter krausen I see...
Weird.

Anyway...a Star San treated vessel or tool should still be wet if one wants maximum protection against errant buggies...

Cheers!

Back