Star San & Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CryoEng

Reaction score
Hello All,

From reading the posts of many experienced brewers, it seems Star San is fairly compatible with our friends, the yeasties.

Some comments even suggest that the compound, in certain situations, can become a yeast nutrient.

Can anyone comment on the toxicity of Star San to yeast in general?

I'm just trying to get a mental "feel" for how the cleanser and the yeast get along.

Thank in advance

StarSan is absolutely toxic to yeast, don't misunderstand. It's an acid-based sanitizer that will chew through your little friends at the right concentration. The issue is that StarSan breaks down, and loses its efficacy as the ph rises. When you add wort to a carboy full of StarSan foam (Don't Fear the Foam!), it neutralizes everything, making it perfectly safe. It supposedly even breaks down into something the yeast can metabolize.

I use it exclusively. Great stuff!

I always use StarSan in my 2000 ml flask to sanitize for a bit before tossing in the boiled wort and yeast when making my starters. I've never had any issues whatsoever with compatibility. I just double check to make the dilution rate is correct. As far as it being any type of yeast nutrient I can't speak to that.

StarSan is absolutely toxic to yeast, don't misunderstand. It's an acid-based sanitizer that will chew through your little friends at the right concentration. The issue is that StarSan breaks down, and loses its efficacy as the ph rises. When you add wort to a carboy full of StarSan foam (Don't Fear the Foam!), it neutralizes everything, making it perfectly safe. It supposedly even breaks down into something the yeast can metabolize.

I use it exclusively. Great stuff!

Excellent! Exactly my question. thanks much for the reply.

That makes sense, with your input. I needed to consider the ph in working through the thought process.

I've always been a chlorine/iodine user, but I'm going to order some Star San and begin using it.

This is a great source of info and help.

Thanks again.

I always use StarSan in my 2000 ml flask to sanitize for a bit before tossing in the boiled wort and yeast when making my starters. I've never had any issues whatsoever with compatibility. I just double check to make the dilution rate is correct. As far as it being any type of yeast nutrient I can't speak to that.

Perfect info!

I have always been a little concerned about the "air drying" with iodophor and rinsing chlorine seems to be sorta defeating the purpose.

That's a good example of a procedure that takes some of the W out of RDWHAHB!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back