Star San with a different consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasPaine

Reaction score
I have a friend that works at a winery. He told me that he has plenty of star san, so I wouldn't need to buy it. He gave it to me in an unmarked bottle and it is different than normal star san. It has the same color , but a much thicker consistency. Has anyone used an acid sanitizer like this? He calls it star san, but is obviously different. Maybe it is more concentrated or something. I did mix some up, and then solution looks the same. Any thoughts?

Ok, I just asked him while he was at work. He works in the wine cellar and uses this stuff all the time. He said he was reading the label as we spoke. It is 5 star star san to be used at 1 oz per 5gals. It seems like they may produce a more gel like consistency when packaged in larger containers. I will pick up some distilled water today and check the ph with my meter to make sure and will update.

Ok, I just asked him while he was at work. He works in the wine cellar and uses this stuff all the time. He said he was reading the label as we spoke. It is 5 star star san to be used at 1 oz per 5gals. It seems like they may produce a more gel like consistency when packaged in larger containers. I will pick up some distilled water today and check the ph with my meter to make sure and will update.

Easier clean up if a large container is spilled when it is more jelly like.

The 32Oz bottle I have has an almost gel like consistency.

Good timed question. I recently bought a 1 gallon bottle of Star San and thought it looked thicker than I remembered the bottle being.

Back