Star-San vs. CO2, who trumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppity

Just brew it!
Reaction score
Washed a keg today, filled it with proper Star-San mixture and pushed it out with CO2. There's an ounce or two left splashing around on the bottom.

If I pour it out prior to siphoning beer through the dip tube, I'll introduce O2 to a CO2 only chamber. If I leave it in it should have no impact.

Sound logic?

I have seen two trains of thought on this.

One: Your totally good and leave it alone and keg your beer on top of the small amount of Star San that's in there.

Two: Turn the keg upside down and try and get the fluid over the pressure relief valve. Then pull open just the valve and drain quickly and then close the valve.

I'd leave it unless my dip tube was cut really short and left a large amount in there. Then I may try and purge it. But then you chance introducing oxygen which is why you filled it and purged with Co2 in the first place. Go with number 1 unless someone else here has a better reason not to.

John

Sure. Just remember to inform everyone who drinks this beer that it contains a small amount of sanitary dinosaur snot. Full disclosure.

Ha! That reminds me: Someone told me the other day, "We're pretty transparent around here." It's true. I could see right through him.

Okay, I've caused enough trouble here. Carry on.

Oh and one to two ounces of Star San in 5 gallons is not that much really. After I fill up my conical with Star San (or carboy for that matter) and dump it prior to fermenting to sanitize it, there is a least that much in foam clinging to all the sides. I have seen people here saying how they have left far more than that in their kegs or fermentors by mistake and after tasting the beer later they didn't taste any difference.

I always wait 5-10 minutes to let more settle out on the bottom and open the picnic tap again. It blows some more out. I don't think it's more than an ounce that's ultimately left, and will be undetectable even in a gallon batch.

Two: Turn the keg upside down and try and get the fluid over the pressure relief valve. Then pull open just the valve and drain quickly and then close the valve.

John
Thanks.
In an odd literary reference you are the Harmoniums to my Unk in Vonnegut's "Siren's of Titan". After 2-1/2 years trapped in their spaceship in the caves of Mercury, Boaz & Unk receive the solution from the Harmoniums: "UNK, TURN SHIP UPSIDE DOWN".

Like I said, odd literary reference...thanks again.

Thanks.
In an odd literary reference you are the Harmoniums to my Unk in Vonnegut's "Siren's of Titan". After 2-1/2 years trapped in their spaceship in the caves of Mercury, Boaz & Unk receive the solution from the Harmoniums: "UNK, TURN SHIP UPSIDE DOWN".

Like I said, odd literary reference...thanks again.

Your welcome Hoppity, glad I could help! I'll take the odd literary reference as a compliment! :D Sometimes the simplest ideas make the best sense. That is how I would do it if faced with the same issue, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

John

Latest posts

Back