Star San sucked into carboy wt$&@?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinchecharlie

Reaction score
It sucked about a 1/3 of the airlock back in ! Should I toss the batch? It's just a gallon of edworts to be but .just thought I would ask.

no worries, I've had the same thing happen with the 3 piece air lock and the s type. you're fine it won't affect your batch. It happens when the carboy cools down. it creates a vacuum in the carboy and suck in a little. the big thing with this is it means you are getting temperature fluctuations in your fermentation temp which may not be the best for your yeast when it comes to off flavors. a spare refrigerator with a temp control for your fermenters would be a good investment to hold your temps steady.

the "s" type seems to be more forgiving when it comes to sucking in fluids but you could still suck in air past it which be bad. you really don't want air in your fermenter after your fermentation has started past the 12 hour point...

I use vodka myself, the small amount of Starsan in the airlock wont hurt a thing. It is food grade acid, that is why you don't have to rinse it off when using it.

Back