star san reassurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisinIowa

Reaction score
Yes I have read it, but what some reassurance that I can bottle on top of the star san suds in the bottle.
Have been brewing for a while and am trying to "up" my game.
Thank you all who have posted here, your help has been beyond books.
DennisinIowa

You can. I keg and bottle with star san ALL THE TIME. I would classify my switch to star san as one of the 5 best decisions I made in 20 years of brewing.

You are good. The beer will actually push most of the "foam" out.

I don't go out of my way to leave star san in my bottles or kegs - but if some is there, if there is some foam - no big deal at all.

I've done it quite a bit and you can't taste anything. It does get a little messy with the foam pouring out the top as you fill the bottle. I try to turn the bottles upside down after sanitation is done and let them drain for a while to get most of the foam out. It doesn't hurt to bottle onto the foam, it's just a bit messy.

Thank you all.
I will get my swmbo on the filler tap right now.
Fat Tire clone from Midwest.
Dennis

Hey Braufessor
I'm is south east Ia. I guess we have the state covered.

I guess it all depends on how neurotic or anal retentive you are. I used to turn my carboys upside down and the StarSan water will come dripping out, leaving foam inside. I would think "well it's safe, but there's no sense racking if water is still draining out." Then I'd start seeing a few drips and think "just a few more drips..." and eventually I'd see the foam start sliding out and think "well if the foam is going to come out, there's no harm in letting it out too..." and I realized I would stand there forever. Then I found a carboy dryer. You just turn it upside down and let the water drain and whatever foam will come out. Just a note! I recommend either placing a no-slip rubber drawer liner under it, or attaching some stick-on rubber feet so that the dryer doesn't slip and break the carboy.

I understand the whole "don't fear the foam" thing but I try to keep as much of it out of my beer as possible. There's a lot of harmless stuff that I wouldn't add to my beer. To each their own...I still use StarSan though :p

image_396.jpg

Back