Star San Foam question and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosehunter75

Reaction score
I know everyone says don’t fear the foam! However, I just had a thought. I just transferred an IPA into a secondary. I normally don’t worry about transferring but this beer was really trashy! I used star San to sanitized my secondary and of course there was a lot of foam left when I transferred into it. I’m not worried about off flavors from the Star San, but I bottle condition. Any chance the Foam hurts my yeast?

Ya, no problem. As I recall, there is actually some nutrients in the foam that the yeast will utilize.

I just transferred an IPA into a secondary.

I used a secondary for years cuz that was what you did. Based on the common advice, I stopped when I got back into brewing a while ago. I have also taken further steps to reduce cold side oxidation (oxidation that occurs after fermentation) and this was one of the biggest improvements that I made to my hoppy beers.

I would not recommend using a secondary for most beers. I would strongly recommend you do not do a secondary for hoppy beers.

Latest posts

Back