star san bite to NE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sryan

Reaction score
I made a NE IPA with the following recipe:

batch size 4.5g into the fermenter

AmountFermentableCostPPG°LBill %
6 lbPale 2-Row371.877%
12.50 ozAmerican - Wheat381.810%
12.50 ozFlaked Oats332.210%
3.70 ozAmerican - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)331.83

AmountVarietyCostTypeAAUseTimeIBUBill %
0.48 oz CitraPellet12.6 Boil 10 min14.857.3%
0.48 oz GalaxyPellet15.6 Boil 10 min18.397.3%
0.72 oz CitraPellet12.6 Whirlpool at 170 °F 15 min9.2710.9%
0.72 oz GalaxyPellet15.6 Whirlpool at 170 °F 15 min11.4710.9%
0.72 oz MosaicPellet11.3 Whirlpool at 170 °F 15 min8.3110.9%
0.48 oz CitraPellet12.6 Dry Hop 7 days7.3%
0.72 oz GalaxyPellet15.6 Dry Hop 7 days10.9%
0.48 oz MosaicPellet11.3 Dry Hop 7 days7.3%
0.60 oz CitraPellet12.6 Dry Hop 3 days9.1%
0.72 oz GalaxyPellet15.6 Dry Hop 3 days10.9%
0.48 oz MosaicPellet11.3 Dry Hop 3 days

Hit 1.054 OG

Fermented kind of cold. I was lazy and didn't set up a heater. It was about 64-65 degrees and hit 1.012 FG. It tastes clean but has a distinctive star san taste bite at first. Once you get past that it has good clean flavor.

It was kegged and is sitting in my keezer. is it toast? I feel like I should have heated it up to 70 or so and let it finish and clean up a bit. I don't think it was contaminated.

Can I heat it up to 70 for a week in the keg and re crash/carbonate?

What do you think?

I felt like that was the most descriptive I could be! it's a tangy initial bite.

no lasting flavor. yeast flavor can be a bite as well. aroma is clean and nice.

next time take a little sip of star san!

How long has this beer been in the keg?
I tasted a standard Star San mix just to see what folks that have an epic blow-off suck-back might experience.
Yeast bites harder, imo...

Cheers!

I felt like that was the most descriptive I could be! it's a tangy initial bite.

no lasting flavor. yeast flavor can be a bite as well. aroma is clean and nice.

next time take a little sip of star san!

Hmm...interesting the most acidic thing I'm putting into my dad bod temple is beer these days ill pass on the star san sipper though.

Tangy to me means acidic or sour...which could mean a few things diacetyl or oxygenation. I'm sure someone smarter than me can be of more help

Hmm...interesting the most acidic thing I'm putting into my dad bod temple is beer these days ill pass on the star san sipper though.

Tangy to me means acidic or sour...which could mean a few things diacetyl or oxygenation. I'm sure someone smarter than me can be of more help

no butter, butterscotch or otherwise flavors, so I wasn't thinking diacetyl. I was thinking o2 as well.

Probably right day_trippr. it might mellow out in a week or so. cool stimulator.

Another vote for yeast bite. Especially on lagers, I'll get that acidic twang if I'm pushing them a bit too fast. After a week in the keg, it goes away.

I think you're going to be fine in a few days. If not, there are some things that you can do, but I'd give it a couple weeks.

StarSan will act essentially as yeast nutrient when the phosphoric acid breaks down. It is extremely unlikely that Star San is contributing any flavor to your beer. Star San does however have a 'band-aid-y' smell to it, which can be a number of known culprits, primarily phenols, wild bacteria, and your water chemistry.

If you used Star San as intended throughout your cold side, you should be good. If you're using water with chlorine/chloramine and no campden, you might be stuck with the flavor. Give it a week in the keg without fussing with it. If at the end of the week its better, problem solved. If it's still got the same band aid smell/flavor, give it another week. If it's still not tasty, toss it.

I find that my NE IPAs with a similar grain bill, all seem to have that bite at first, and they all come around in a week or less perfectly fine. I try hunk it’s got something to do with the oats & wheat personally

I doubt it’s starsan. I’ve accidentally racked my beer onto half gallon of starsan and there was no off taste!

Thanks guys! Yeah I never really thought it had to do with actual star san, just the best way I could describe the bite The other thing I was thinking of was adding gelatin to speed up anything dropping out of it. I had added it at cold crash but maybe I transferred too much yeast cake.

It could be the Galaxy. It appears to be the dominant hop in your NEIPA. Galaxy is high in Polyphenols. I struggle with every beer that has Galaxy in it, even in low amounts.

so is the answer to galaxy issues just being very loco on everything you do?

But your smart enough not to sip Star San!

Back