Star San and something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukubau

Reaction score
I'm about to clean my carboys. Could I use a normal dish detergent and then just apply some Star San as I always do? I don't see any reason to buy a brewing specific detergent. What do you think?

Dish detergent leaves behind a residue that is hard to rinse off and most brewers avoid it. Personally I use napisan which is based on sodium percarbonate. Same as the brewing cleaners but much cheaper. Give it a good rinse afterwards and allow to dry. Then sanitise with stars an before using it next.

I've cleaned all my brewing equipment with Oxy-Clean for years.

same active ingredient as PBW... I use both. I have found it seems the oxyclean leaves a slimy residue that takes more rinsing to remove than pbw myself. I do use the unscented stuff.
soap or dish detergent is bad... it can be bad for head retention to from what Ive been told so I just avoid it. I see how its does this in a beer glass if not rinsed very very well.
we even used special detergent in the restaurant/bar I used to work at to prevent this.

Latest posts

Back