Stand up freezer into Temp controlled Fermenter Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I am going to try and transform this into a temp controlled fermenter/keezer. This will obviously be quite a task since most shelves have the coils built in so what I am thinking is the middle shelves will be the only one left after I bend the rest to god knows where. That would give me full access for fermenters, carboys and corny kegs.

Has anyone done this previously with something that looks similar or have any advice? I have done this to a mini fridge in a similar build I have posted but this is just going to be a bigger task. Im wondering if I can split the shelves/coils for more pliability or possibly crimp those unused coils but keep in all the coolant

Thanks all.. and I will keep you updated.

Attachments

• 20180612_211743.jpg
    20180612_211743.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Also interested in any answers. I need another lagering/fermenter chamber, and for space reasons, needs to be upright. Prefer freezer rather an fridge to get lower temps, and more height if I ever upgrade to a conical fermenter.

I attempted to crimp coolant lines in a freezer once. Looked legit... all the coolant leaked out. I doubt you could do it without losing coolant Same with bending them, those lines will get small cracks pretty easy. Just my personal experience though, I’m not an expert.

Folks have successfully bent the shelves out of the way - there's evidence all over HBT.

2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0044.jpg

But it's clearly not for the faint at heart as there have also been plenty of failures with moving freezer shelves - and mini-fridge cold plates.

Vaya con Dios.

Cheers!

Folks have successfully bent the shelves out of the way - there's evidence all over HBT.

2012_0512FirstAllGrainBrew_0044.jpg

But it's clearly not for the faint at heart as there have also been plenty of failures with moving freezer shelves - and mini-fridge cold plates.

Vaya con Dios.

Cheers!

So do you have tips of how you bent them? Room temp, heated slightly? Did you have to cut the small cross bars? Looking at your I think its the same freezer and I had the same ideas on shelve placement from what you have there except I want to keep the very middle shelf which will allow top and bottom fermentors or cornies.

I cut the cross bars out and bent the bottom shelf against the back and floor of the freezer. The freezer was shut off for a long time, so it was warm and I did it during the summer. I didnt use a heat gun or anything but I did think about it. Just nice and gentle pressure in stages. I also took the cross bars out of the middle of the shelf just above so I can pass the disconnects from above for the back kegs.

Attachments

• 20180201_173213.jpg
    20180201_173213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
I cut the cross bars out and bent the bottom shelf against the back and floor of the freezer. The freezer was shut off for a long time, so it was warm and I did it during the summer. I didnt use a heat gun or anything but I did think about it. Just nice and gentle pressure in stages. I also took the cross bars out of the middle of the shelf just above so I can pass the disconnects from above for the back kegs.

Ok, I also had the same thoughts though I may need to cut a bit more of the cross rails to get all the shelves bent down and to the left side due to me wanting to keep the middle shelf. Did you use a dremmel or angle grinder etc?

I wouldn't try to do surgery with an angle grinder. Definitely go with the Dremel and a stack of fiber cutoff discs.
fwiw, I've never done the bending thing, my intent was to provide an even-handed assessment of what I've read here over ~7 years.
The successful example shown can be found on HBT...as can the failures, I reckon ;)

Cheers!

Ok, I also had the same thoughts though I may need to cut a bit more of the cross rails to get all the shelves bent down and to the left side due to me wanting to keep the middle shelf. Did you use a dremmel or angle grinder etc?

Actually, I grabbed each bar in the middle with needle nose pliers and twisted. They broke pretty easy. Then I bent each bar back and fourth until they broke off. Most would snap off with just one or two bends. Rounded the little break points with a file so they weren't sharp anymore. It's kind of tedious but it worked rather well...

I thought about using a dremmel, but then I thought about accidentally getting into one of the coolant lines and I changed my mind.

Actually, I grabbed each bar in the middle with needle nose pliers and twisted. They broke pretty easy. Then I bent each bar back and fourth until they broke off. Most would snap off with just one or two bends. Rounded the little break points with a file so they weren't sharp anymore. It's kind of tedious but it worked rather well...

I thought about using a dremmel, but then I thought about accidentally getting into one of the coolant lines and I changed my mind.

Yeah I am gonna try that too just to be safe. What do you mean by you haven't done the "bending thing"? I just have to be able to bend all the shelves to the side like you have but AROUND that middle shelf cause the back end lines kinda intersect.

Back