Stamped Concrete Patio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaW

Reaction score
Anyone want to share experiences or pictures? Im very close to signing a contract for some work, I just want to make sure there isnt something Im missing. Its pretty difficult to get a patio for this price without doing DIY, and the reference work I have seen looks pretty amazing.

I read a horror story about a company, so make sure you check references. Quality work totally depends on the experience of the cement guy. They can adjust to meet conditions and ingredients, while an inexperienced cement guy might do subpar work due to unusual conditions or ingredients.

Pictures of reference work is great, but if you can actually speak to people about their experience it is worth the time and effort IMO.

I read a horror story about a company, so make sure you check references. Quality work totally depends on the experience of the cement guy. They can adjust to meet conditions and ingredients, while an inexperienced cement guy might do subpar work due to unusual conditions or ingredients.

Pictures of reference work is great, but if you can actually speak to people about their experience it is worth the time and effort IMO.

Definitely. This is one of my first major home improvement projects, so Im trying to be careful (while also keeping it cheap). I have called three contractors, two that advertise heavily and have a ton of work in the area. One guy refused to even bid my project because he was too busy (must be nice to be able to turn away $2,500+ jobs). The other guy gave me an estimate about $9/sqft.

I also called in another guy that is less known, but was able to email me a pretty impressive portfolio. He came in at $6.50/sqft (!!!). He has stuff time stamped back 4-5 years, as well as recent stuff. Not being a bigger name, Im a little nervous, but I would like to go with him, because that is a pretty substantial savings. Right now Im waiting to physically visit some of his references and see if they check out.

Anyone want to share experiences or pictures? Im very close to signing a contract for some work, I just want to make sure there isnt something Im missing. Its pretty difficult to get a patio for this price without doing DIY, and the reference work I have seen looks pretty amazing.

We had a colored and stamped concrete patio at another home. It was nice looking for sure. The downside was there are uneven spots caused by the stamping process that cause any patio furniture to wobble.
If I'd pour another, I'd do a colored exposed aggregate with a solid, colored border.

I feel the need to chime in here, full disclosure I work for a paver manufacturer. There are 2 kinds of concrete slabs. Those that have cracked and those that will crack. Just make certain there are expansion joints cut in the work. I know the going rate for pavers where I live is easily double what you were quoted. Even for stamped that seems really cheap. It's also not at all unusual for a good contractor to turn down a $2500 this time a year. Most of the good paver guys I work with are quoting into July and August already.
If references are in order go for it. Is the contractor staining or doing a full thickness color?

I feel the need to chime in here, full disclosure I work for a paver manufacturer. There are 2 kinds of concrete slabs. Those that have cracked and those that will crack. Just make certain there are expansion joints cut in the work. I know the going rate for pavers where I live is easily double what you were quoted. Even for stamped that seems really cheap. It's also not at all unusual for a good contractor to turn down a $2500 this time a year. Most of the good paver guys I work with are quoting into July and August already.
If references are in order go for it. Is the contractor staining or doing a full thickness color?

Good question about staining or full color. I'd have it colored over colored sealer. If you decide to go with the patio and want some sheen to it, you could seal it with a sealer that will add a bit of gloss. It makes the concrete pop but you'll have to reseal every few years.

Stained. Do you think I should be run and hide based on price? Or if the references check out, am I all good? That has me the most nervous, the fact that he is 25% lower than the other estimates I received.

Do you think I should be run and hide based on price? Or if the references check out, am I all good? That has me the most nervous, the fact that he is 25% lower than the other estimates I received.

You should be cautious with that disparity. However, he may just be a smaller company with lower overhead. (Maybe just starting out or needs work which you should ask why he needs work when others are too busy.) Check their references -always.

I scored my patio and dyed it with the acid based dyes. Came out great. I used a skill saw with a masonry blade to score it in a 4' by 4' pattern with a border. The dying is a good diy project. Just clean the slab, spray the dye, and neutralize with baking soda in water. Then mop until the mop water is clear. Come back with a sealer of your choice. Be sure to mask off anything that you don't want the dye on. It will stain anything.

Go this put in a few years ago. Not cheap, but worth it. Lots of compliments.

Capture.JPG

That looks great! Is it holding up well? If you dont mind, how much did it cost you?

Thanks.

Holding up well. It is due for a coat of sealer to bring the shine back. Rough dimensions are 30' x 18', I think I paid about $6k for it.

Thanks.

Holding up well. It is due for a coat of sealer to bring the shine back. Rough dimensions are 30' x 18', I think I paid about $6k for it.

That really isnt too bad, especially since you have multiple heights. If mine looks half as good, I will be happy!

What is the square footage of your prospective patio if I may ask OP?

This thread really has me considering opening up a side business with my buddy. We poured a lot a concrete for 6 years while we were working commercial construction in college. I still pour/finish on the side (doing a driveway next week), and for a two man job, I think we could really offer great prices (I can get concrete for conservatively 100$/cubic yrd) and still make a pretty penny.

We had a colored and stamped concrete patio at another home. It was nice looking for sure. The downside was there are uneven spots caused by the stamping process that cause any patio furniture to wobble.
If I'd pour another, I'd do a colored exposed aggregate with a solid, colored border.

This part is very true. We had a stamped patio installed with the color added in the concrete. Luckily the patio table has adjustable feet to level and keep it from rocking.

My biggest concern was being happy with it for the next 15-20+ years. I'll try to post a pic later tonight.

What is the square footage of your prospective patio if I may ask OP?

This thread really has me considering opening up a side business with my buddy. We poured a lot a concrete for 6 years while we were working commercial construction in college. I still pour/finish on the side (doing a driveway next week), and for a two man job, I think we could really offer great prices (I can get concrete for conservatively 100$/cubic yrd) and still make a pretty penny.

Its about a 290sqft job, 16x18 patio. I have a high bid of $12/sqft and a low bid of $6.75/sqft. The $6.75 seems to be just that, a small crew doing primarily decorative stuff now. Im still trying to verify their references. Two of the three references have yet to return my call. I got through to one, and he sang their praises, but he didnt have stamped work, just a regular poured drive way. I would like to actually go and see one of their stamped jobs, and if I cant get through to their other references in the next couple days I intend to tell them that I will gladly hire them if I can see a couple other jobs, otherwise the deal is dead in the water. Im sure they will make it happen.

Seeing as you are "in the industry", is there anything I should be asking them the next time I meet?

I would def want to see their work as well. If they can't provide you with any stamped jobs, I would not go with them either. If they do, however, have some work that you like, that's a pretty hard price to beat

I do believe I hit the jackpot of all jackpots. I met with the cheap contractor today after expressing my disappointment that none of the references would let me see their work (all had good things to say, one reference did have a stamped patio). He came by and explained that this is a side business that he and some guys from his main crew ran (which I could tell). He goes on to explain that his dad owns the main company, and they work on a lot of big name projects in the area. At this point, Im pretty skeptical. He then proceeds to pull out his phone and show me pictures of him and the other guy with him pouring and stamping concrete at Notre Dame. Needless to say, I hired him.

Are you getting some fighting Irish stamped into your patio now?

No, I think the amount of Notre Dame paraphernalia prominently displayed around my neighbors yard covers both of us. The contractor did say he has some of the gold coloring they used on campus left, and he wouldnt charge me for the color if I used it up. Tempting, but I declined. Though, it would have made game day cookouts much cooler! :rockin:

No, I think the amount of Notre Dame paraphernalia prominently displayed around my neighbors yard covers both of us. The contractor did say he has some of the gold coloring they used on campus left, and he wouldnt charge me for the color if I used it up. Tempting, but I declined. Though, it would have made game day cookouts much cooler! :rockin:

Why not go with cardinal and gold? Those are proper colors for a patio.

Fight On!

Back