Stalled fermentation? Remedies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I have a gallon batch of APA OG of 1.053, maris otter base, 4 Oz vienna and 2 Oz carapils with US-05. I first took a hydrometer reading a week ago (that was 2 weeks from brew day) and it was at 1.020. It's been resting in the high 60s since fermentation and I've added some yeast nutrient to it since last week and it's still reading 1.020. I've brewed similar recipes that all finished around 1.010.

Should I pitch some more yeast to get to the last 10 points? Any other suggestions. The samples taste amazing and it would be a shame if this went to waste.

I would not re-pitch on a beer that's gone from 1.053 down to 1.020. That's simply a waste of yeast and $$. You've got a whole yeast cake to work with in the bottom of the fermenter.

If you want to try to coax it down a few more points (I seriously doubt that you'll get this one 1.010), give it a very, very gentle stir with a sanitized metal spoon to work the yeast cake up off the bottom and then let it sit another week at 68-70*F. After that, time to bottle.

My worry is I've never seen US-05 finish that high from an OG in that range. I'm worried that if it gets going again in the bottle. .. well we all know what would happen then

Back