Stalled Fermentation, Next Steps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytonlawvol

Reaction score
I made an Oatmeal Stout from Brewer's Best. The Original Gravity was 1.058, target range for Final Gravity is 1.012-1.016...however Ive been stuck at 1.032 for 4 straight days now.

I put in glass carboy to ferment on 11/29/10. It fermented pretty vigorously until 12/1/10, when it stopped. I checked the gravity each day since and nothing has budged. Temperature when it was fermenting was about 72, now that fermentation has apparently stopped, the carboy is now showing a temperature of 62. I was using Windsor yeast fwiw.

I have placed the carboy in a different room, wrapped it with blankets and have a heater in the room, to try and raise the temperature of the carboy up to the high 60s or into the low 70s. If this doesnt work, I am considering making a yeast starter and repitching. Does it sound like I am taking the necessary steps right now to get this bad boy moving again?

Here is the recipe for the kit if it helps.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1042%20Oatmeal%20Stout%20w%20Steep%20to%20Convert.pdf

You may have a batch of yeast that had low viability. How old was it? Some times in kits it is just best to replace the yeast if they are older. I remember my first batch was a brewers best kit and I had to repitch.

That said temp in the upper 60's should be fine as long as it is consistent. If you get much into the 70's you could get some off flavors depending on the yeast type. Bottom line though is consistent is best regardless of the actual temp.

To get it down to your FG you could try rousing the yeast but I'm guessing you already tried that and it didn't work.

I'd try adding a clean liquid yeast like Cal Ale if you can get it. Make a starter and get it to high Kausen if you have the equipment and then add it to your batch at that time. Being at high Krausen will help it be prepared to be added to the alcoholic batch. It should take it down quite easily.

If you cannot do that try tossing in another packet of yeast after rehydrating it properly.

62 is too cool for that yeast. Need to get it warmer. It's active fermentation kept it high originally, but as it slowed down, the temperature came down and the yeast has stopped working. Warm it up and it will start up again.

Why did you use Windsor. Unfortunatly, with that yeast you will not reach your target FG of 1.014. It has a low attenuation. I would expect it to quit somewhere around 1.020.

Back