Stains on BIAB sack. Ok to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My BIAB sack has developed several stains after use and I want to know is it OK to continue using it? I have running it through the washer with hot water and plan to boil it and my hop sacks prior to the next brew day. Will this boil take care of anything nasty like mildew or stains?

I rinse mine, hang to dry and shake the remaining grains out when dry. Why boil it prior to a brew, the wort is going to be boiled anyway and any nasties will go to their makers. I wouldn't worry about the stains.

I would think a trip through the washing machine would take care of any mildew. Brewing stains (I.e., discoloration) I wouldn't worry about. Now, if your cat puked on it or you used it as a napkin while eating BBQ ribs, then that would be different. My grain bag has mashed nearly 40 brews and I've never done anything more than rinse it under warm water, so it's pretty discolored, but nothing to be concerned about.

Mine is stained by mildew from a leak in my brewing area. Washed it out sanitized it and I have been using it for the last few batches with no issues. I also use another bag for straining wort post boil that is even more stained. No infections yet. So in otherwords Don't worry 'bout it.

Thanks for answers everyone. Looks like I was over thinking this. I had loaned my back up IAB to a buddy an he brought it back without cleaning it. Had some dried stains and possible mildew but I won't worry now that it has gone through the wash twice.

I would not put a bag in the washing machine...rinse w hot water and let dry. Maybe an oxiclean soak if you let it get rancid...a well used bag will take on a tan patina, IMHO that's fine, no need to try and turn it tidy whitey, were mashing filthy grain here...

I would not put a bag in the washing machine...rinse w hot water and let dry. Maybe an oxiclean soak if you let it get rancid...a well used bag will take on a tan patina, IMHO that's fine, no need to try and turn it tidy whitey, were mashing filthy grain here...

I've been putting my awesome wilserbrewer bag in the washing machine, and then hanging dry.

I will stop the machine wash....

I use my washing machine's hand wash cycle with Oxy and an extra rinse cycle, hang to dry. No issues with 12+ brews

Stains happen, no big deal at all. Everything gets boiled anyway so don't worry.

My bag goes through the laundry - both washer and dryer. I've had no issues at all. I don't see any reason to stop using this method.

Latest posts

Back