Stainless Tank - What could I use this for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZPicker

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post to the forum. I've been brewing kit beers for a couple of years and am in the progress of making the move to all grain, so am accumulating a bit of gear. Apart from the gear that I've used for kits (coopers fermenter, etc) I've purchased a 30 litre stainless pot, the makings of a grain bag, and am about to pull the trigger on a burner (3 ring) and wort chiller (immersion)....

A friend of mine recently mentioned that he had a stainless 70l tank that he wanted to get rid of and offered it to me for the princely sum of $50 (NZD). So, it looks great but my question to all of you seasoned brewers is what could I use it for? I'm waiting on more pics but from what I can gather it is very heavy guage and looks to be made to be pressurised, the bit at the top could easily incorporate an air lock/blow off arrangement, the spigot at the bottom is not threaded.

That's about all I know about it at this point. So, should I buy it or not?

vat_small.jpg

My first thought is you could use it as a fermenter, but only if there is a way to get inside it to clean it.

Apparently no valve... Though I guess I could cut, drill and fit a ball valve. The other thing I considered was cutting the top of and converting into a kettle for BIAB...

Get more pictures. The top looks like a large nut and may be a way to access it. Also think about flipping it upside down and using as a fermentor. If you could attach a dump valve to the threaded part.

Latest posts

Back