Stainless Steel vs Aluminum pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpearl5889

Reaction score
Anyone know if there's much of a difference with using an aluminum pot instead of a stainless steel one for boiling the wort? My dad has an aluminum one he uses to boil lobsters and stuff which he said I could use instead of buying a steel pot to brew my beer. Thoughts?

Check this sticky on this vs. that, the aluminum vs. steel is toward the bottom. Summary is it's fine but you should build up an oxidative layer on the pot as described.
:mug:

just saw a beer show where the sam adams guy brewed a lobster, clam beer with a couple of Scotts.

anyway. clean the aluminum pot and away you go. Brew outside or by the garage door (no closed rooms, or basements)

I'm not aware of a difference. I use aluminum. Just make sure your kettle is big enough to boil your wort without issues. Go with double your wort volume. Take an empty gallon jug and fill it with water to figure out how big that lobster pot is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Steel is going to last longer. Also, I second not using the lobster pot. It might just be personal preference, but I like to use a pot just for brewing. It helps me eliminate reasons in case something doesn't taste right.

Back