Stainless Steel Fusti for Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just gifted one of these in 20L http://www.lanuovasansone.com/index....?category_id=3

Any idea if I could use it to carbonate? Ie instead of bottling my beer, would be nice to condition it in this and just use the tap any time I wanted to pour myself a beer. I'd store the whole thing in my fridge. The tap is about 1" above the bottom of the vessel, so would work well to separate the yeast bed from conditioning.

Note I contacted the company and they said it could handle 2 bar, this is 30 psi. Trying to figure out if that was working pressure or test pressure as I understand carbonated beer is 36 psi. I guess I could always put a hose adapter on it and put 40 psi of air in it to test.

30 PSI, really? Wow. I was gifted a 40L one for Christmas and have been trying to figure out how best to set it up for fermentation. Now I need to work our pressurized transfers as well as a blow off tube, god problem to have!

But I set my kegerator at 12PSI, not sure you need 30.

Interesting, so when using a kegerator do you condition the beer or does the kegerator create the carbonation?

Interesting, so when using a kegerator do you condition the beer or does the kegerator create the carbonation?

I don't add in additional sugar after kegging, I just hook it to the CO2 tank and let it go at my target PSI for a couple of weeks. You can do force carbing (and I've done it in a pinch) where you jack it up to 25 or 30 PSI for a couple days, then take it back down. That may be what you were thinking of with the 30PSI.

Actually, something I just thought of which might explain the 30 PSI: temperature of the beer makes a difference,too, since colder liquid can absorb more CO2. Here's a useful chart showing what PSI you set at what temperature to get the right carb. That does say that upper 20s is right for 65F temperatures, so if you're not cooling the fusti, your initial number was right on.

I'd put the fusti in the fridge, I have a fridge I use for brewing lagers. I could then carbonate at fridge temperature, 4 Celsius or so. The manufacture said the Fusti is good for 30 psi from their experience. I guess I'd just have to drill and put a bulk head on the lid for this to work to inject the CO2. Do Keggerators have a stand pipe and pour from the bottom? And then inject the CO2 from the top? This is what seems to make sense to me. I also understand you need an extra long hose to get rid of foam when you pour? It would be easy enough to hook a hose to this.

Yeah, there are calculators for that too, here's an example I found.

And yes, the bulkhead is exactly what I'm trying to decide how to do now too. I'd love to find a way to go from a bulkhead to a keg gas post, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

For pouring, I'm sure you could attach a spigot to the bottom or use a spear setup like in cornies with another bulkhead to keg post.

I'd put the fusti in the fridge, I have a fridge I use for brewing lagers. I could then carbonate at fridge temperature, 4 Celsius or so. The manufacture said the Fusti is good for 30 psi from their experience. I guess I'd just have to drill and put a bulk head on the lid for this to work to inject the CO2. Do Keggerators have a stand pipe and pour from the bottom? And then inject the CO2 from the top? This is what seems to make sense to me. I also understand you need an extra long hose to get rid of foam when you pour? It would be easy enough to hook a hose to this.

Hey there, old thread I know, but did you ever get this up and running? How did the fusti cope with holding pressure/being airtight?

No I ended up selling it. If it was seamless it may have worked, but didn't trust the seams not to attract bacteria.

No I ended up selling it. If it was seamless it may have worked, but didn't trust the seams not to attract bacteria.

That was always my concern with those. Boiling water might heat the seams enough to sanitize it but it's not worth the trouble imho. They're nicely priced for the size though.

Back