Stainless steel conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. As some of you may know, I'm a one gallon brewer. Right now I have two of the little big mouth bubblers that I got from northern Brewer. I'm really considering upgrading to Brewing two gallon batches. I'm really interested in buying the SS brewtech 3.5 mini conical, along with the cooling system that they sell also. I've read that stainless steel is the best material for fermenting. All the reviews that I've read about the 3.5 mini are good. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that has, or has used the 3.5 mini or the cooling system. Maybe you can share your experiences using it with me, or Maybe give me some advice on whether or not I should get it. Thanks in advance.

I dont have any experience with the 3.5G Brew Bucket. I do use a Chronical by SSBrewTech and it's awesome. If you are looking to brew in SS, I think that would be a good buy. It's not really a conical but more of an advanced bucket; regardless it would be a great fermenter.

As to the cooling system, I cant speak to that either but I'd think that ~$225 bucks would be better spent on other things like a small fridge and temp controller. (And possibly enough left over for something else!) Probably not the same bling factor though. Remember that you may also need a heat source to keep your beer from getting too cold.

The 3.5 gal Brew Bucket gets great reviews except for its removable base. Imagine that you have the fermenter nestled in its base, ready to fill with wort. After filling you need to move it to your fridge. You have to lift the fairly heavy bucket filled with wort, but when you do, the base stays put. How do you move the base to the fridge first so you can place the bucket on top of it? (Remember, the bucket has a conical bottom so it won't stand on its own.) You either need a helper or a separate $20 base. Or a lot of luck and prayers.

Other than this seemingly bizarre issue, I can't see a problem with the small Brew Bucket, and I'm contemplating buying one - if I can work out the base challenge.

Yes, I've read about the base thing too. I haven't thought of a way to resolve that yet. I'll probably just buy another base, or have my wife move & set up the base while I move the conical. Would idophor be safe to sanitize with? That's what I use to sanitize with.

Yes, I've read about the base thing too. I haven't thought of a way to resolve that yet. I'll probably just buy another base, or have my wife move & set up the base while I move the conical. Would idophor be safe to sanitize with? That's what I use to sanitize with.
Couldn’t you just integrate some magnets into the base?

100 mile an hour tape or a bungee cord..... I'm Low Tech! Fermentation Temp Control is one of the best investments you can make.............

I have one of these and I love it. I went from a 3gal glass carboy to one of these and it is so much easier. The base sucks, but I had just planned on welding on some legs to it like the 5 and 7 gal. Supposedly SSbrewtech, will be coming out with a ftss2 for the 3.5 gallon, so a heating pad and cooling coil.

Back