Stainless steel clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRAYA

Reaction score
Took the plunge and built a homemade mash tun last month. A little worried at first, I tested it for leaks and it didn't leak at all. Happy with my build, I put it away. A few days later I went back to place a few things in it that I had purchased. Upon opening the lid I noticed that the stainless steel clamps (purchased from lowes) on both ends of my mesh hose filter had completely rusted over. Has anyone else ran into this? I thought they weren't supposed to rust. Any suggestions for some replacement clamps?

I don't think the screws are always stainless. It seems hit or miss if the clamp is 100% stainless or not. You could use the Oetiker type clamps or try some of the vendors here to see if they know their clamps are 100% stainless.

Just an idea but zip ties are cheap, replaceable, won't rust or melt in a mash tun, and have less places to clean than those screw clamps.

Bobby_M at BrewHardware wouldn't steer you wrong. He has a lot of cool brewing gadgets there, and he is an advocate for us brewers that want the best parts we can get.

clamp.png

http://brewhardware.com/accessories-62/145-clamp

Lots of "stainless" hose clamps use rather ferrous screws. Just take a magnet with you when you buy hose clamps and check the screw. If you are an area near the coast marine supply stores have clamps that are all stainless.

I use zip ties all the time for fermentations at work. They hold up to countless steam sterilization cycles and have no problem with heat. Just don't buy the cheap dollar store ones. I've also seen them hold hoses just fine that have 25 psi in them. They also don't dig into the hosing like most metal clamps do.

Thanks for the info guys! I decided to get the all stainless steel clamps from brew hardware. Since I had to buy a 10 pack, I'll have a few extra in case anyone else needs any. Will be glad to help out a fellow brewer.

Latest posts

Back