Stainless Sparge and Mash: Configuration Guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidingDonkeys

Reaction score
So I bought a 10g Spike boil kettle a few months ago. I'm wondering why I didn't do this years ago. It is a fantastic kettle. I'm running on a 3-tier gravity fed system, so the next logical step is to go all stainless so I'm not having to physically move my mash, sparge, etc on brew day. If all the pots are stationary, then I do a lot less work and save my back.

So I was ready to put the order in tonight and I realized that I can't quite decide how to configure my couplers. Maybe a little guidance is in order.

Brew: 10g with sight glass, 3pc valve, and a thermometer in an offset configuration. This one I've already bought.

Sparge: I'm thinking a sight glass is in order since the bottom of the pot will be at eye level. But the arrangement of the couplers is irrelevant for a gravity system.

Mash: Here is where I'm really confused. I probably don't want a sight glass. But where do I want my thermometer. A vertical configuration seems to make more sense from a temperature measuring perspective, but I feel like I'm going to hit it when I stir the mash. But a low thermometer might interfere with installing the false bottom.

What do you all think?

Are you just planning on using a regular kettle for a mashtun without recirculation? if so an insulated mash tun, even a plastic igloo one will hold your mash temps much better and result in more consistent beers.

that said advice is to do it the same way I eventually settled on after trying the insulated tun and herms, recirculate with even a 12 or 24v p38i pump and use a rims or herms to maintain mash temps if you dont want to go the simple insulated route. Ive been using three of these pumps in my setup for years now and I dont have to do any heavy lifting at all. Best part is they are only about $20 each.

Are you moving to pumps? If so you can move to a single or two tier system bringing the vessels lower.

Sorry for the slow response. This have been a bit chaotic here in Moscow. I have insulated mashtuns now, but am considering going all steel. I'll keep the gravity system for my final year in Moscow, but I'll be back on a single tier system when I move back to the US.

Latest posts

Back