Stainless ball vaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that brass may leech bad things into the wort.

Lead, specifically.

Which is of such low levels that it's really not a concern at all for use in a mash tun. The surface area of contact is also very small and once the small amount of lead has leeched I don't believe any more from deeper in the metal can leech, it's only what's at the surface contact area of the metal.

Rev.

Which is of such low levels that it's really not a concern at all for use in a mash tun. The surface area of contact is also very small and once the small amount of lead has leeched I don't believe any more from deeper in the metal can leech, it's only what's at the surface contact area of the metal.

Rev.

Seems like a pretty wild guess. But any recent brass ball valves from HD and the such are required to be lead-free brass. So no harm in using brass. It's just less bling.

In the past, the amount of trace heavy metals were not regulated for brass fittings sold in the US. Recently this has changed and levels in brass are neglegeable. A 1/2" ball valve can be picked up for $5 including shipping. With this in mind, as posted, most likely just would rather keep their system all stainless.

937216-bling_mouse.jpg

I've had brass corrode(sp) before in my old tun. Got this orange gunk all over the place. Had SS braid with an SS hose clamp, so I figure is had to be the brass.

Latest posts

Back