Stacking torpedo kegs in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaid

Reaction score
Hello, I want to get into kegging and so am looking to buy a kegerator. I have very limited space (25" width and not enough height to open a keezer lid). I want 3 taps, one for sparkling water (nonnegotiable with wife) and two for adult beverages. I like the price and capacity of the KegCo K209 to hold 3 corny kegs and I can naturally carbonate outside the kegerator.

For sparkling water, however, it's important to not have days of downtime when refilling - the sparkling water is the way I'm getting a kegerator into the house. So I'm thinking about stacking two 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs, one tapped and one carbonating - switch between them whenever the current one runs dry. That would still leave room for two 5 gallon corny's of beer.

The torpedos are 14.5" tall, so I need just over 29" total vertical space. Does anyone know if the K209 has enough vertical space?

Can't answer the root question as I'm not familiar with the Kegco unit.
But if I'm getting the OPs post correctly, he'll have a pair of 5g kegs for beer and a pair of stacked 2.5g kegs for the Spousal Unit's sparking water.

Seems reasonable from here...

Cheers!

But if I'm getting the OPs post correctly, he'll have a pair of 5g kegs for beer and a pair of stacked 2.5g kegs for the Spousal Unit's sparking water.

Correct, I'm hoping for a setup where sparkling water takes 1 out of the 3 5g keg spots AND in that single keg spot I have two stacked kegs - one tapped and one carbonating so I can swap between them and don't have days of downtime waiting for a new keg to carbonate.

Did you mean K309? Because the only triple faucet kegerator currently listed on kegco.com is the K309.

A 5g ball lock cornelius keg with a typical CMB disconnect needs ~ 26" vertical space.
Stacking a pair of 14.5" kegs plus allowing for a disconnect would need somewhere between 30 and 31".

Looking at this picture - ostensibly of the K309 interior...

LargeCapacityPad.jpg

...I'm not sure the stack would fit.

Best thing would be to contact the folks at Kegco and ask...

Cheers!

You obviously didn't even read his post.

I did read it, but apparently it wasn't clear to me at the time, hence the comment. Sorry!

It does make more sense now. As @day_trippr said, make sure there's enough internal height for the 2 small ones stacked.

The idea by @JLEEFELDMAN could solve the problem.

Did you mean K309? Because the only triple faucet kegerator currently listed on kegco.com is the K309.

A 5g ball lock cornelius keg with a typical CMB disconnect needs ~ 26" vertical space.
Stacking a pair of 14.5" kegs plus allowing for a disconnect would need somewhere between 30 and 31".

Looking at this picture - ostensibly of the K309 interior...

LargeCapacityPad.jpg

...I'm not sure the stack would fit.

Best thing would be to contact the folks at Kegco and ask...

Cheers!

torpedo kegs can accomodate connectors within the quoted height of the keg (which is what makes them stackable), so he needs to clear only 29".

Having said that, the photo of K309 with sanke sixth-barrel kegs which I believe are 23.3" (see http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...tor/Kegco_K309SS-2_dual_faucet_kegerator.html) make me very worried that the 29" won't fit. There's just no way there is 5.7" of space there based on their photo.

Back