Stabilizing with Campden/Bottle Conditioning Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently planning my next several brews and just had a couple of questions:

If I stabilize a Brett/Lacto fermentation with campden prior to blending with a non-brett/lacto beer will the campden inhibit the sacc sufficiently to cause bottle conitioning issues? Will the brett be inhibited such that I won't get the funk development in the bottle that I normally see?

What about mixed fermentations that aren't blended? If I use campden then give it a little time and repitch with sacc at bottling will they carb up?

Thanks

Campden will not inhibit carbonation as long as you give it 24 hours to rest and then priming sugar and sacc or a clean beer before bottling. You won't get much additional brett character because the campden inhibits further activity.

No need to use campden if you're just adding priming sugar and sacc and not blending. The sacc will consume the priming sugar quickly and create carbonation.

No need to use campden if you're just adding priming sugar and sacc and not blending. The sacc will consume the priming sugar quickly and create carbonation.

With regards adding campden to the mixed fermentation, my thinking was more pertaining to preventing additional sourness from developing in the bottle over the long term on beers that I think have reached a nice balance.

For example, I've done some sour farmhouse ales where, after several months I really liked the flavor and balance and gravity seems very stable so I've bottled and the beer has been great but it does tend to get a bit more sour over the long term (as does fantome, JP, etc.)-still good but not quite as balanced as it was at one time.
So, I was thinking that I might at some point try using campden to stop the bacteria then pitch additional sacc and/or brett at bottling.
Does that seem reasonable?

With regards adding campden to the mixed fermentation, my thinking was more pertaining to preventing additional sourness from developing in the bottle over the long term on beers that I think have reached a nice balance.

For example, I've done some sour farmhouse ales where, after several months I really liked the flavor and balance and gravity seems very stable so I've bottled and the beer has been great but it does tend to get a bit more sour over the long term (as does fantome, JP, etc.)-still good but not quite as balanced as it was at one time.
So, I was thinking that I might at some point try using campden to stop the bacteria then pitch additional sacc and/or brett at bottling.
Does that seem reasonable?

In that case you would either want to use campden or bottle pasteurize. I've never tried bottle pasteurizing myself but I know other people around here have and seem to have good results.

When you use campden to really lock it in, you want to cold crash, rack, use finings, then hit it with campden for 24 hours. The more live creatures you knock out the better your chances the campden will knock everything out.

Back