Stabilizing flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys/gals do to stabilize your boiled yeast starter flask while it is cooling in an ice water bath? I've looked online for ring weights and they are so expensive. To properly weight a 2000 mL flask, a weight is close to $30, then add on shipping. Northern Brewer has a cast iron weight, but I have no idea how well it works. I've used the "hold with an oven mit and swirl routine", but it sure would be nice if i could set it in a sink filled with ice water, swirl it every so often, while I do other things.

If it's floating you could lower the water level of the cooling water. It dosen't need to be any higher than the liquid level within the flask. I never have problems because of this. I'm sure you could find something cheap that would work as a weight by walking around HD/Lowes/Walmart etc.

Like you mentioned, I'm sure the northernbrewer weight would work as well.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ipment/yeast-handling/64-mm-flask-weight.html

Back