St Patricks Irish Stout, yeast sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Well, I brewed up a Mr Beer St Patrick's Irish Stout this evening and going on the wild side I substituted the supplied yeast with a packet of Lallemand(Danstar) Nottingham yeast..Re-hydrated it per instructions on the yeast packet as my wort was cooled to 70 degrees..And then pitched it in.....Will be interested to see if this experiment works or is a bust...

What do you guys think? I am sure it will be drinkable beer, just HOW drinkable?

Well, I brewed up a Mr Beer St Patrick's Irish Stout this evening and going on the wild side I substituted the supplied yeast with a packet of Lallemand(Danstar) Nottingham yeast..Re-hydrated it per instructions on the yeast packet as my wort was cooled to 70 degrees..And then pitched it in.....Will be interested to see if this experiment works or is a bust...

What do you guys think? I am sure it will be drinkable beer, just HOW drinkable?

It should be quite drinkable but with Nottingham I would try to get the fermenter cooler. Nottingham makes a cleaner taste when fermented nearer 60 degrees than at 70.

Will have to remember that the next time I use Nottingham...'Damage' is done now as I have a nice layer of foam on the wort right now...

Gonna let this one age in the bottle a bit until St Patrick's Day..Doubt if I will try and color it green- supposed to be a dark beer, so don't think the food coloring would have much effect on it anyway..Will try to remember to update here when I drink it! :)

Latest posts

Back