SSR placement on heatsink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleyBrew

Reaction score
Quick question-
I've got a few DIN mount heatsinks for my SSRs and with the way they are designed the SSR sits on top, making them quite tall. I'm wondering tough, would heat disapate just as well if I were to mount the SSRs on the side? The heatsinks don't have a lot of fins like most others, more like a rectangle with a bunch of smaller rectangles on the inside.

I've got 40A relays but I'm not generating anywhere near that amperage in my control panel. I can't find anything that says this wouldn't work. I'm trying to make some room in my box.

Thanks.
I'm hoping to save a bit of cash and repurpose the heatsinks I have but the ones you posted are a good choice. Better than what I could find on amazon.

If you search "CPU heatsink you will find many options for more reasonable prices that may fit your application better.

I use both amazon and ebay and amazon leaves a lot to be desired as for as the sorting and search engine which I believe they do on purpose to prevent most from just buying according to price this is beneficial to its venders....
For example I bought a power inverter that was bundled to work with an ac coffee make that was sold with it. well that exact same bundled package was sold for $20 all the way up to $100 by the same seller who listed it under a different categories and by other sellers... It really pays to search under different categories and amazon prevents sorting this way... Why? I think its kind of shady. they get higher profits from those to ignorant or lazy to search correctly this way. I find myself going back and forth between amazon and ebay and using ebay as a reference tool even when I buy from amazon.

In the research I did; I found out that if you are switching a 5500w element, the SSR is only going to produce about 40w(at maximum) worth of heat that needs to be dissipated. So while the heatsink you have is completely fine and even its orientation isnt really going to matter, it sits enclosed in your panel. With long boils, back to back brews, or summer brewing it could get quite warm in there. So if you are going to change your heatsinks just get them outside the enclosure so the heat is actually being removed from the panel.
For mine I ended up using old server heatsinks that I had laying around, kind of overkill for this but they'll serve their purpose brewing in my garage in the Florida summer.
CFyhpFa.jpg

they protrude out the back of my panel
gGRToix.jpg

Latest posts

Back