SSR or Relay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Does anyone know if i can use an Auber SYL-2352 PID with a relay instead of a SSR ? Or must I go for the SYL-2342.

Their website suggests an SSR with the SYL-2352 PID and a relay with the SYL-2342 but surely both SSR's and relays are just switches ?

I already have a SYL-2352 PID and need to use relays so don’t necessarily want to buy a new controller.

Any input appreciated

Would a 12 V input that will take a 20 amp load work ?

Like this attached

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 121
It depends on the controller. PIDs want an SSR because they will often do very fast switching on and off to accomplish different output power, like using PWM to control LED brightness. A mechanical relay cannot switch fast enough to work this way.

basic temperature controllers like you'd use on a fridge do not do fast switching, just basic on for a while, then off for a while. In this case a mechanical relay would be fine.

So it comes down to what you're trying to do. If you're trying to drive an electric element that will need precise fast control to maintain temp very accurately, you need a PID with an SSR. If you're trying to run something like a fridge where it's just a period of on and off time you can and should use a more basic temp controller with any type of relay you want.

EDIT: If you don't know the difference, an SSR is a solid state relay. Meaning no moving parts, it's all done inside the chip. As a result they are able to switch extremely fast, and can be used for PWM type control. A mechanical relay like the one you showed pictures of cannot. That's why they need to be matched to the type of controller you have. If what you already own is the 2352PID, you NEED an SSR.

However you will still want to consider the end application, as that PID may or may not match what you are trying to do.

What is it for? if its for controlling an element than yeah you need the ssr model it has to switch sometimes as fast as multiple times a second to control temps... If its for something that has a delay in how quickly it turns on and off then no...

also the "relay" in the pid is rated for a like 10 amps max... even some fridges draw more than that so depending on the load you may still need to use it to control a more powerful "switch"

Would a 12 V input that will take a 20 amp load work ?

Like this attached
again what are you using this with? the relay pid? this will require a 12v power supply to drive the relay using the pid as the main switch but if its for a heating element you still want to replace it all with an ssr pid... you can get a model like the mypin td4 snr which in my opinion is easier to use than the auber anyway and does manual pwm mode for a smooth controlled boil for like $25 shipped... or $30 with an ssr shipped if you buy everything to build your panel from any one place like auberins your already spending a lot more than you need to.. the panel in my avatar cost me under $300 to build... I priced the components out at auberins and stopped when I hit $700 and they didnt even have some of what I needed.

I believe that you can adjust the PID response time to say for example, no more that ± 2 seconds. So not milisecond switching Would a relay live under these circumstances ?

My PID with an SSR works like that now and never see milisecond switching.

I believe that you can adjust the PID response time to say for example, no more that ± 2 seconds. So not milisecond switching Would a relay live under these circumstances ?

yes thats true... But then your not going to get the accurate temp control and thats usually the whole point of a pid.
Also if its switching on and off even at 2 seconds minimum you will still likely overheat and burn the mechanical relay contact points.

auber pid are setup for 2 second minimum on the pwm cycle by default this doesnt meant theres 2 seconds between each pulse but rather if its set to 30% its on for 30% of that 2 seconds as a whole. But it can be adjusted for say one second which actually gives a slightly smoother boil level. The mypins come set a 1 second duty cycle so thats what I often used except when I went with the ezboil unit (which uses ac cycles) for a while before going to brucontrol which is cheaper and more versatile than any of it honestly.

Last edited:

I have a PID on my fridge relay, but it is set at 2 minutes.
You would be ok if you set it up for 30 seconds or so, but don't expect the best relay to keep up very long at 2 seconds.
5A micro relays will last 10,000 switch cycles but the larger 10-20A ones just don't come close under any significant load.
You never really specified the load, motors for example have a high inrush current and will weld relay contacts together in no time if they are not allowed to cool in between switch cycles. SSRs on the other hand are designed for PWM motor control.
I don't know why you don't want to use a SSR, 20A SSRs are about the same price as 20A relays and don't require a base.

Latest posts

Back