SsBrewtech Sspunding Valve Adjustable PRV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presumably your PRV isn't adjustable, while the two spunding valves are. If one has a fermentor capable of holding 2 BAR (almost 30 psi) the ability to tune the spunding valve enables direct carbonation over a wide range of temperatures...

Cheers!

It is rated for that 2 bar but as says to always leave the factory PRV on the top of the tank that releases pressure at 18 or so PSI. Thus my confusion on why one would want this piece.

Admittedly, that would significantly reduce the utility wrt temperature range.
One presumes spunding with active yeast would require maintaining "fermentation" temperature to FG, but if the fixed PRV is releasing at 18 psi the maximum carbonation level at, say, 60°F, would be just over 2 volumes, a bit shy for a lot of styles. Too bad...

Cheers!

So this looks interesting but I dont understand why I would need this on the unitank if it already has a PRV tc on top that releases at 18psi? What are the advantages of adding this piece?

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/sspunding-valve

Thanks,
Czmkid

I was thinking that too much pressure on the yeast may cause issues. Our non-adjustable PRV is set at 18 psi, but I am thinking a better pressure to ferment may be 5 psi or there about. Not sure - this is just a guess. But it stands to reason yeast may react adversely to pressures that are too high...but what exactly is the ideal range of pressure AND the benefits?

In some of the LODO articles, I have run across fermenting under pressure topics. Not sure how this is related but I do think fermenting under pressure is a topic being discussed frequently. This valve may be useful.

@Morrey

This could be the only thing that it could be helpful for. I don’t know a lot about which pressure works best for the yeast type one could be using. Theses no chart for that? I have however read a few articles about fermenting under pressure. Some were positive while others said users could not tell the difference between the same batch of wort split into two tanks one under pressure the other not.

I have two batches in the tanks now that I didn’t use the blow off cane at all. I just let the PRV do its thing at 18 psi. Hope the yeast were happy...one things for sure the beer is already at 1.87 vol of co2. As @day_trippr said, it sure would be nice to be able to fine tune co2 volumes but until Ss comes out with a PRV tc that is higher than 18 that won’t be possible.

If you find anything helpful about what pressure works best at what temperature range with what yeast pleas post up. Btw you get those labels/material in for your canning operation yet? Can’t wait to read about that!

Czmkid

@Morrey

This could be the only thing that it could be helpful for. I don’t know a lot about which pressure works best for the yeast type one could be using. Theses no chart for that? I have however read a few articles about fermenting under pressure. Some were positive while others said users could not tell the difference between the same batch of wort split into two tanks one under pressure the other not.

I have two batches in the tanks now that I didn’t use the blow off cane at all. I just let the PRV do its thing at 18 psi. Hope the yeast were happy...one things for sure the beer is already at 1.87 vol of co2. As @day_trippr said, it sure would be nice to be able to fine tune co2 volumes but until Ss comes out with a PRV tc that is higher than 18 that won’t be possible.

If you find anything helpful about what pressure works best at what temperature range with what yeast pleas post up. Btw you get those labels/material in for your canning operation yet? Can’t wait to read about that!

Czmkid

I want to poke around some more for info about fermenting under pressure. I emailed @mongoose33 to ask his opinion as he is up to speed on this. I'll share as I find more specifics.

There is a cost involved to consider if the end result is worth it: The valve then a straight Tee, a curved elbow, clamps and gaskets....it will add up. Plus I have 3 tanks and frequently have them all going at the same time.

I have my logo and label design finished. I called Sticker Giant and they are sending me samples of label materials to see which one(s) suit my needs. I like the transparent material but need to see if an Industrial Sharpie will write on the material and not rub off when moist. But the AA canner is a dream come true! I have been testing it with my DeWalt cordless drill and this thing is amazing. I hate bottling but cans do nicely filled from the tap. More to come....

I bought 2 of these for $70. I’m gonna connect to a tee (with a pressure gauge also) and use with my brewers hardware conicals to pressure ferment. I’ll need to calibrate with a co2 tank somehow before I trust em but these looked like a deal so I figured I’d experiment. Just thought I’d throw it out there for anyone who’s on the fence at higher price points.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Tri-Clam...il&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

I still don't get the point of this. The PVR that comes with the unitank IS adjustable. You just unscrew the top as needed based on the PSI in the tank and the PSI you want. I am really confused about this new item.

Back